Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Where to begin.........

My front porch is ready for Halloween!

Let me recap the invents of the last 2 weeks.

The Friday before the german cousins arrived Haven started labored breathing. I rushed him to the vet late friday. Pneumonia again. "sigh" More meds. Poor Haven but he is quite better now and his breathing sounds great.

German family arrives Wed Sept 29th. They were set to arrive Tues but missed their connecting flight in DC. Thanks to the not so helpful airlines they waited 24hrs for another flight. I wont even begin to start my rant on the airlines. It would take up the whole blog.

I have never met any of my mom's family before. It was a communist country before the wall came down. They werent allowed in the states and my mom was only able to get in after considerable drama and only a few times in the last 50 years.

My cousin Marianne is 60 and my mom's sisters oldest child. She was a sweetie. The kind tired face of someone who works too hard. Her and husband Alfredo (he is Italian) own a restaurant in their little town in germany and work their butts off. This was her first trip to America and all she wanted to do was buy a pair of jeans and visit.

Martin is 35 and Marianne's nephew. He was a hoot. Long black hair down to his butt. Both ears pierced and dresses all in black. I was fascinated by him. He got a few stares here in Oklahoma but who cares. He visited the bunnies every night and handed out lovin. Its easy to like someone who likes your furry kids. Martin was interested in everything. 7-11 was a particular fancy. A store open 24hrs? "Cool" (he knew a few english words) Every plate of food I put in front of him was "wunderbar". When they left I told him he wasnt my cousin anymore but my little brother.

I have never enjoyed visitors more. It put a shine on my mother's face that I havent seen in years. She got to use her native language for 10 whole days and they talked and talked. We went around Ok to all the usual places a tourist might want to visit. I took them places by myself when mom was too tired to go. We figured things out just fine. Golden Corral was interesting too. They could not believe all the food that was wasted. Martin tried "wiggle pudding" (jello) and found it lacking. LOL

Leaving them at the airport last Friday morning was heartbreaking. I was glad to have some peace and quiet but I will miss them like crazy. Saturday afternoon while the buns and I were watching LSU take The Gators I was chatting with my oldest friend online while we both watched the game. My mouse wouldnt move across the mouse pad right. I picked up the pad to check the problem. There were 3 ten dollar bills under it along with a note in German. "Please take this and buy a little something for the bunnies" Martin. I adore him.

We have lots of plans for Halloween. Ghost hunts and a trip to Eureka Springs at the end of this month. I look forward to visiting my home away from home. I hope the leaves are at their peak and waiting to greet me. There will be lots of girl talk, shopping, cocktails, and laughter. We had a cancer scare with my good friend Jackie but thankfully it wasnt cancer so all the more reason to enjoy our trip. I am ready.

Mojo decided to scare the hell out of me Sat. My girl has never had a bad day in her life. I found her hiding sat night. Grinding her teeth and a tight tummy. I sprang into action and got her pain meds and gut drugs. By sunday afternoon she was eating, pooping and back to being my silly girl. Please dont do that to momma again Miss Mojee.

I hope all is well with all of you. Enjoy the fall weather and if you celebrate it: Happy Halloween! There will be a trip report and pictures of Eureka Springs.


12 comments:

Carmen S. said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your visitors and I LOVE Martin, LOL, what a guy! Glad to hear the bunnies are fine now and enjoy the trip to Eureka springs!!!

Lisa said...

Ahhh scary. Stasis actually makes me shudder.

the Germans sound so cool!

RG said...

BL would have adopted Martin!

Native East Germans in Oklahoma - there you go!

Keep those bunnys perking along now!!!!

Rural Rambler said...

Whew! Sounds like a whirlwind of a visit. I am smiling cause you had such a great time with your family. You know you can always tell about people by the way they treat animals, no new news to you I know. Sweet of Martin to think of the bunnies, he has to be a good guy. I don't know about the leaves Christina, they are going fast but you will still have a wonderful time I know :) I am excited for the report and pictures from Eureka Springs!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visitors. 10 days is a long time, if you don't...

I'm with Martin on the jello issue. I've never liked it. I think I'm going to start calling it wiggle pudding. *grin* He sounds like a real sweetheart.

Enjoy your trip to Eureka Springs. We'll be looking forward to a full report when you get back.

Hugs to all the buns!!

Christina said...

Oh shoot Pix, I was afraid of that this year. I know we will have fun anyway.

Caro-I cant stand Jello. The texture grosses me out.

Christina said...

Lisa- stasis makes me shudder too. You dont know when it will strike, what caused it, if your bun will live thru it. I have dealt with it with Stewart, Haven and now Mojo and I hope never to again. It took Stewart away but I have better tools now and knowledge in dealing with it along with better medicine. Luckily Mojo and I kicked stasis in the face!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

We have a cat named Mojo and we also call him Mojee!

Wow, what a nice visit that was! My girlfriend is from Germany. We love to hear her talk to her kids in German. It sounds like a long line of gibberish and then every now and then an English word pops out. It's so funny.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Re: your comment over at my place. I've had the same thought about Grandma's demise. I just don't know if it's true or the product of an overactive imagination. *shrug*

veganelder said...

I am glad all went well and that your Mom got that "shine" on her face. Good stuff.

Christina said...

Me too VE, me too.

Annette Tait said...

such a wonderful time had by all Christina!! nice to hear about your relatives and wasn't Martin just so nice :)
and glad Mojo is well, and you noticed her so fast!