Thursday, July 26, 2012

Have you seen my appendix?

Me either. I really dont understand why strangers get to look at my insides when I never have. They didnt even buy me dinner.

Monday July 2. I think I have food poisoning. Tuesday the pain begins. I take myself over to Urgent Care. They do a cbc...my white count is through the roof. There is something suspicious looking on my gall bladder. The doctor tells me to go to the emergency room NOW, I have some kind of infection in my tummy. I go of course, straight to the ER. ( I really dont know where commas go, I just throw them in willy nilly)

ER doctor (did not like) presses on my stomach in just the right spot. I wanted to knock him out. He thinks its my appendix. They want to do a CT. They want to put dye in my nether regions. I really dont care at this point other than I wish I had on better underwear. Thank you mother.

Yep its my appendix. You must stay and we will call the surgeon. Its coming out of me at 6am. I panic thinking I dont have enough greens for the bunnies. I tell the doc I will think about it. He didnt care for that answer at all. I made some calls and decided I had better stay. Bring on the pain meds!

They start an IV and give me Morphine. That crap lasts about 30 minutes. I tell nurse Joe I want something better. He leaves and returns with a miracle in a syringe called Fentanyl. I love him now. I also decided it would be a good idea to text random friends at 3am. Keep in mind I am a bad patient. No I don't whine and complain and ring the buzzer but I dont like to stay in bed and I am hungry. I haven't eaten in 2 days and once the pain went away I was starvin like Marvin. Those bastards wont even give me water. Whatever, there is a sink in the bathroom. At least I can sneak that after nurse Joe foiled my attempt to get to a vending machine.

I have never had real surgery. I had some leg veins stripped a few years but I was awake. Come 5am ever single person in that hospital wanted a piece of me. Xrays, blood work, EKG...you name it. Now Mr. Chest Xray was quite the looker. I immediately began to take off my shirt when he walked in. He just gave me a sour look and told me to keep my clothes on. RATS! They roll me downstairs where I meet the pusher man (anesthesiologist) and the surgeon.

When the surgeon introduces himself I notice he is bleeding from the chin. I inform him that he is losing blood and he lets me know he cut himself shaving. Uh huh and he is coming after me with a scalpel. Lovely. Do I have any questions? Yes, when can I get something to eat. Mr. Cut and Run just chuckles. Apparently he thinks I am joking. I remember nothing after that.

Surgery takes 37 minutes. I wake up sometime later in recovery. The nurse asks me some stupid questions I cant remember and I ask for food and fall back to sleep. I wake up again in my room. Nurse asks if I need anything. What time is lunch? The doctor says if I can keep down broth and jello I can have some real food. Now I despise jello with every fiber of my being. Its gross and wiggly, made from nastiness and the texture is horrific.

When nurse Haley brings my broth and jello I snarf it up like a caveman. Slopped jello all down the front of my pretty hospital dress and ask what else she has. She give me crackers, freaking crackers. I ate 6 packages. As soon as she leaves I call the cafeteria and put in my order for lunch which I can only have if the doctor says yes. I tell nurse Haley to call the doc and tell him I want lunch and I want to leave that evening. I am on my way to becoming a real pain in the ass. 

I hoovered down a baked potato, a roll, some pudding, more crackers and stupid apple juice. I hate apple juice and didn't ask for that. They want to know if I am peeing. YES. Can I go home now? NO! 
What time can I order dinner? Doc wants to know if I have gotten out of bed. Nurse rat fink tells him I have been rolling all over the hospital with my IV wheely thingy in tow. (she doesn't know I have been to the parking lot to retrieve my cell phone charger) He says I can leave after dinner. THANK GOODNESS. Strict instructions come and do you have a ride home.....of course I do. (I have a Pontiac)

The nephew shows up to drive me home. Yeah right, like I am leaving my car there. We trick old nurse dodo bird in the parking lot. I drive myself home. I cant wait to see the babies. I stop by the grocery store long enough to pick up a lemon cake. WHAT? I had some cravings. I come creeping in all bent over and in raspy sore throat voice proceed to scare the absolute shit out of the buns. Mama doesn't walk like that or talk like that. Very scary. Only Millie really loves me. It only took me 30 minutes to get down on the floor. She was very patient.

Anywhoo I am just fine. I was given my independence from my appendix on July 4th. I stayed in my fat pants for several days and did all the things the doctor told me not to do. I am not one to lay around but I did try. I watched all 6 seasons of Supernatural. I felt a deep personal relationship with Sam and Dean when it was over.

Sorry I don't have pictures of my appendix. They don't let you take it home. I don't see why, its mine. Every single word is true by the way. I am a bad patient and besides the hospital is the place that has all the cooties that make you sick. My surgeon told me he has only let 1 other patient go home the same day after an appendectomy. I would love to meet that person. I bet he/she could give me some tips on how to be an even bigger pain in the butt.  

Oh I almost forgot. The "suspicious thing" on my xray were 2 nickels in the breast pocket of my scrub top.

Surprisingly I don't weigh 500lbs.

16 comments:

Lavender Rabbit said...

I'm glad you made it through surgery ok! I had my appendix out, I didn't go through any of that - they took me immediately into surgery. Sorry about all the trouble and the nasty jello!! I'm sure the buns are happy to have you home :)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

this was fricking hilarious AND i am sure every word is true!

Carmen S. said...

OH MY, LOL! I had to laugh about the jello part, everytime my husband has ever been in hospital he tells all the nurses right up front "Don't bring me any damn jello" he hates it with a passion, lol!!! Sounds like quite the ordeal and I remember when my son had his out he complained of a bad stomachache and I left him and went to work, I thought it was just a bug but then when I got home and he was curled up in a ball moaning from the pain it hit me that it *could* be appendicitis, so off we went (thankfully!) so glad you are OK and those poor bunns, probably thought "who are you and what have you done with momma" LOL!!!!!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh my...you're the patient from hell. Glad to hear you're all fixed up and back home with your bunnies, where you belong. Unhappy appendixes...appendi...are no laughing matter. BTW, I hate jello too.

Little Miss Titch said...

Oh Christina you are a naughty girl...hehehehehe....Just like me only I'm a naughty boy.I went to the vets today to have my stitches out only to be scolded as I had taken some out over the last couple of days...well they were loose and tickling me....so I thought I don't need them and pulled them out...hehehe...get well soon! xoxoxo Speedy!

Jade said...

Silly you, you're supposed to seize the opportunity to be waited on hand and foot and milk the situation for all it's worth--have the bunnehs not taught you anything?! ;)

I got Fentanyl when I was having issues with a particularly nasty kidney stone that had taken up residence in my bladder--it is wonderful stuff, but I couldn't understand why there wasn't a pill version that could be prescribed.

RG said...

Yup - 6 or 7 of us should have come to visit and hang out - that would have been the capper.

All in all a real bad experience. Glad all is going fine now.

Pix said...

Christina you are cracking me up this morning. I needed to laugh too, this frickin heat and drought are messing with me. I am so happy all is well and you are fine. I can only imagine you as a patient in the the hospital. Funny story, very funny. Glad that old appendix is gone gone gone!

veganelder said...

How does it feel to lose your surgical virginity? I'm always impressed when hearing about someone who has managed to navigate life for any length of time without being the victim of medical assault.

Here's hoping you will go back to your previous 'medically avoidant' ways and not be bothered again for a long long long time. I'm glad you're OK. :-)

Christina said...

RG I am would have loved to see you all coming. We could have torn it UP!

Pix the heat and drought is messing with me too my friend. I am ready for fall.

bunnits said...

Oh, I am still laughing. Laughing so much that I might pull something and have to go to the ER and maybe have surgical repair, in which case I will try my best to use your behavior as a model of how to act and get what I want.

Glad things worked out well and that you found out what was going on before it got worse.

Clovie Boy said...

Your loss: One appendix
Our Gain: One hilarious story

Not many stories make me laugh out loud...

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Woman you are a total frick'in riot!!! I loooooooooved reading this this morning. I'm with RG. It would have been so fun to come and visit you. Of course, I'm like a mother hen and would not have let you do a darn thing!
So glad your parts are better and your doing good. Now move your butt to NC so we can hang out and get into trouble together. :)
xx

Amanda M. said...

You CRACK ME UP!! So glad it went well, although I'm sorry you didn't get a souvenier! (well, besides a scar, maybe?) :) I'm glad you could go home so soon - strong recoverer, strong healer! Besides, the bunnies would miss you too much. ;)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I've always been suspicious of nickels!

Very entertaining read, glad surgery went well

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Christina, that was so funny!

If that doctor had only known you also drove yourself home! Omg.

I'm like you. Get me out of there. I tell them I'm alright even if I'm not. I'll be alright when I get home. I didn't have either one of my babies in a hospital (because of the Jello) but it was hospital-like enough (I couldn't smoke) and so I left the same day. I didn't stop to get a lemon cake but I did stop at the health food store and picked up some carob candy bars.