Sunday, December 16, 2012

"You have to be strong"

 
 

I heard those words for the first time in the third grade. My aunt said them to me as they wheeled my brother James into surgery. He was 19 years old and about to have a 12hr operation to remove a grapefruit (yes I said that right) size tumor from his head. James had started having headaches the previous year. My parents took him to doctors and they found nothing wrong. Told them "it was all in his head." Well as a matter of fact it was. When James went into surgery that morning he could still see out of one eye. When he woke up that night, he was blind. In an effort to get the tumor, they severed the other healthy optic nerve. Nobody, not even the doctors thought he would survive.  He did but he was never the same as you can imagine. A few years after surgery he started having seizures. I was told to be strong.

Daddy had a pretty bad heart attack a few years after that. The strongest man I knew was laying prone in a hospital bed. It brought me face to face with the harsh reality of mortality. My dad survived. I was strong.

When I was 20 my dad passed away from congestive heart failure. I did everything. I made every arrangement. I tried my best not to cry. I was strong for my mother and for my brothers.

When he was only 43 my oldest brother Forrest was diagnosed with throat cancer. He went through some pretty drastic treatments. In September he was told he was cancer free. October 29th he was hospitalized and never came out of the hospital. He died on December 30, 2001. I lost my mind for about an hour in the hospital that day. I still don't remember exactly what happened. I was strong in public but I was dying on the inside. A horrible rage had built inside me. The only thing that cooled that rage was his son. A 6 year old that acted just like his daddy and was the only person I cared about at the time. I stayed strong and did everything. I made all the arrangements so my mother wouldn't have to. I tried not to cry.

I watched most of the life leave my mother then. It had started slipping away by degrees. We became bitter angry people. I was so pissed off all the time. We had terrible arguments. It changed our relationship a great deal. I clung to Jakob, she clung to hostility. I still tried not to cry.

Two silly bunnies named Mojo and Tango brought a little light back into our world. We could find little things to talk about again and giggle at. That is why animals are so important to have in your life. They can bring joy where there is none. It is like when you see a really bright light in the sky. Animals and silly babies are that bright light. We have been lucky enough to have so many little bright lights.

On August 23th 2012 my mom told me she had a bad headache. She said she couldn't stand up and could I take her to the hospital. Now if you knew my mom, you would know she would never in a million years ask to go to the hospital. I called an ambulance. I never told anyone but as she was helped onto the gurney she looked at me and said "I am not going to make it, something broke inside my head." That is the last thing she ever said to me.

I sat with her mostly by myself. I made the decision by myself to turn off the machines. I asked her to give me a sign that she was ready. She did. She drifted away early Sunday morning. I sat with her while her breath left and held her hand. I was so grateful to be there with her. I still had to be strong but I did cry, mostly in private.

My family is very small now. A few days after my mom left, my dad's sister died. She was the first person that told me to be strong. A few weeks later my mom's sister passed away. Then Mills left. It has been a hell of a year. I am trying to be strong.

I inherited sole responsibility for my brother. James has plenty of issues. It might take you awhile to notice the little things. Things like little ticks or facial expressions that aren't "normal."  After a time you might catch on that you are talking to a 14 year old that lies a lot. James is 10 years older than me but is like a kid. He has no clue about how to take care of himself. He has nobody but me. I will not abandon him. My mom's family all lives in Germany, they don't speak English. I get news through my neighbor. She calls them about once a month for me. I wish they were around. My dad's family is gone or such a mess I have no desire to fool with that. Someone wise asked me if I felt like an orphan. I thought it was a strange question at the time but yeah, after I thought about it, I do feel like an orphan.

I was in no way excited about Christmas. I put up a tree because mom loved them so much. The ornament in the pic I bought just for her. She would have loved it. It was so her kind of thing. I am in a strange mode right now. I run on autopilot. I waste large amounts of time of FB. I enjoy the people and the pictures and the exchanges. I try and read books and I cant focus. I wait for spring to see all of our pretties (mom and mines) pop up out of the ground and say hello. This will be the longest winter of my life I think but I will be strong.

I have always refused to indulge in self pity. It is one the most useless emotions we can have. I will find things to be grateful for if it kills me. LOL. I am grateful for my brother, my nephew, my Heartland family, all of you, a handful of old friends and of course for these silly bunnies.

I am very grateful I am not making funeral plans for one of my children. These past few days have taught me many lessons. That is what life is really all about. Learning lessons.

Thank you for allowing me to write this out a bit. I have started it a hundred times and stopped. I feel a little better. Now, I have bunnies that need some smooches and I have to roust Jojo out from behind the couch.

Happy Holidays my friends and if you are feeling blue...do something for someone else. It will lift you, I promise. Today I got a little lift from a Facebook friend. I dont think he knows how his gift cheered me. We havent done one in some time so here is a mantra for your monday.

 
"Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind"
Lionel Hampton


20 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Beautifully written and expressed.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Tears, hugs, light and love to you. You are an incredible person Christina. You are a light that shines in dark places. I'm so honored and truly blessed to call you my friend.
xx

veganelder said...

Were you able to get JoJo out from behind the couch? :-)

I'm tempted to try to say something comforting...but instead I'll just tell you that feeling the pain of loss isn't self-pity and that you aren't alone because I personally know more than 90 bunnies that care lots about you. :-)

Give yourself a hug and tell JoJo to stay on his toes around Darla.

Lisa Alto said...

I am so glad you shared all this and it made you feel a little better. it's ok not to to be the strong one all the time... a problem shared and all that. you are an amazing woman Christina and an inspiration. I feel privileged to "know" you xxx

[I am] The One With the Camera said...

My Bun Cinnamon and I send hugs and kisses.

Pix said...

Christina I can't always do the strong thing anymore. I admire you. I worry about you. I care about you and I can imagine that you would be in a strange mode right now and on auto-pilot. Auto-pilot gets us along far enough until we can focus clearly again. I cry because sometimes it just lets me breathe some fresh air. I hope you are enjoying the holidays in a way that works for you. Thinking of you.

Carmen S. said...

You are an amazing lady, my friend! I wish I could find half of the strength you have, I always just collapse in the face of adversity and I do not handle grief well at all.I admire you so much and I wish you peace, happiness and lots of soft bunny kisses in the coming year (((HUGS))) to you!

Little Miss Titch said...

its ok to run on auto but not numb and disconected from life and its ok to shed a tear for those have and still be strong you have had it tough but it won't always be like that,and Yes you are amazing to have gone through all this heart ache.Bunnies are amazing too,so if you feel in need of extra cheer come visit us and see Speedy he has been decribed as a light at the end of a rainbow and I know he is for me and you can drop us a line any time we will aways get back to you when you do,much love to you !xx Speedy and Rachel

Red said...

Christina, I'm sending reassuring thoughts and good vibes your way. It's been a tough year. I admire your strength. It's not self pity, and you have a right to be human from time to time.

Karen said...

It is okay not to always be the strong one. I am glad you shared your story. You bring much light into the world. I am honored to know you. Much love to you...Karen

Karen said...

Very well written. It is okay for you not to be strong all the time. I am honored to know you. You bring light into this world. Much love....xxoo

Annette Tait said...

I'm proud to know you Christina :) and I'm sure in person we would get on famously and have so much fun, and everything would be made better by a smile, and an understanding. No matter what has been.
So glad you have your buns, always ready to do silly things to make you smile and laugh :) They just 'know'.
Thanks for sharing, always happy to listen. Love the monday mantra, so true.
Wes and I send love and warmth - always xxxxxx

bunnits said...

Thank you for your beautiful and touching sharing. Many of us share your thoughts and feelings today or in the past or will in the future. Thank you for the mantra, too.

Jade said...

As they say, a woman is like a tea bag: you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water. You must be pretty damn strong to be soaking in all that hot water all this time. You have people and bunnehs who love you lots, and we're all here for you if and when you need us. *hugs* from me, and Mr. Mick sends nose bonks and bunneh kisses.

As for Jojo, he's probably plotting the next step in his warren domination plan. The Dutch Mafia wastes no time in taking charge. ;)

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh, Christina. I'm sorry to hear this. You know how I feel about animals - angels wrapped in fur come down from heaven to model unconditional love. Just look at all the angels you have surrounding you all the time. It's okay to let down your defenses and be vulnerable. Sometimes, it's the greatest show of strength there is.

Much love,
Carolynn

Clovie Boy said...

I can tell from your posts, Christina, that there is something special about you. You have a strong voice and from the sound of it, a strong spirit as well.

I guess you have to live one day at a time. I hope you find some joy and peace in each day.

RG said...

Your post was a long time to hold one's breath. Woooof. I'm sure we've all recounted our blessings and I hope you do too.

One day at a time kiddo.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You've had sadness that no person deserves to have. But sometimes being strong means more than making arrangements and not crying. It means doing the things that will help you heal--crying, writing about it, buying special ornaments, saving bunnies... all those things are really strength. They show the strength of your heart and mind and tell me that your loved ones, who all had a hand in making you the person you are, were as special as you are. No wonder you miss them. I wish I was there in Oklahoma so I could hug you.

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Thanks for sharing that my friend. It is hard to do when we think we always have to be strong. But that is part of being strong, too. I wish you a wonderful new year full of joy!

T. said...

I can't really say much more than what has already been said so well by so many above...but know, Christina, that you are loved by many for who you are--and we'd still love you even if you did let the walls down from time to time. As someone that hasn't been through that amount of tragedy--but who has had to deal with the effects of chronic depression, I know that self-care is incredibly important in keeping your sanity; that, and bunnies, of course. Bunnies are nature's natural mood-enhancers. :)

Be well, my friend, and try to be kind to yourself. <3

Love,

T.