Sophie trying his best with Nina.
I never thought I would be writing about bunny number 11. Some of you have already met Sophie through Facebook but for those that haven't, here we go.
I was at the rescue a few weeks ago when we got a call about a bunny. As usual we were over capacity and promised to put this bunny on a waiting list and share his photos and do what we could. He would have ended up at Heartland eventually.
Something kept nagging me about this particular bunny. 4 years in a backyard. It's amazing that he survived this long. I had visions of Pippin running through my head. I had a dream about the bunny. I called the guy back the next day and talked to him. We made arrangements for me to pick him up.
When I got there the house was pretty dumpy. I was already worried about the bunny. The guy came out and I could tell he was having a bit of trouble walking and breathing. He walked me into the backyard and I was tensed up expecting to find Sophie in deplorable conditions. What I saw blew me away.
He had a bunny wonderland and a fortress built for Sophie. It was as long as my living room, had a roof like a house and the fencing was buried in the ground. Sophie had been protected from all the elements and it was heated and cooled. He has good quality food, hay and the most expensive litter in his potty box. This man had gone through a lot of work to make this bunny comfy. Sophie was friendly and in beautiful condition. I had to ask if he was sure he wanted to surrender his bunny.
He started crying like a baby and just said he couldn't take care of him anymore. I didn't ask anymore questions. I understood. I packed Sophie up and we said goodbye with my promises that Sophie would be loved and taken care of. On the way home I got several text messages asking me for pictures sometimes and telling me what Sophie's favorite foods were.
I was going to change his name. Sophie seemed strange for a boy bunny. Some of the bunny ladies suggested Boyd after a tv character we all like. He was dubbed The Sophie Boyd. Sometimes I call him Bo but mostly I still call him Sophie or Soapy. He knows his name. He is the happiest bunny. From the second I opened his carrier door he has been a free roam bunny. He doesn't tinkle anywhere but his potty box and doesn't scatter doots about. He is the tidiest kid. Doesn't bother a thing. He has almost no interest in the other bunnies at all. Sophie's only interest besides humans is Nina, he adores her. Nina is completely alarmed by him and hisses and runs away. Sophie wants so badly to make friends. Maybe someday.
I feel very privileged to have Sophie in my home. I took him out to Heartland for a visit and to show him off a bit. Nothing bothers this boy in the slightest. Aggression from other bunnies seems to puzzle him. I get wonderful binkies all the time from this snuggle kid. What a treat he is.
So there you have it. Now you know The Sophie Boyd. |
15 comments:
I usually avoid notions of a supernatural sort but it is difficult not to think there might be something akin to such in the way in which this all came about. Sophie Boyd may have much to teach us all. Certainly he's now in a place where he will have the opportunity to do so.
Thank you for sharing your home with him. :-)
A wonderful addition to your loving home:) Perhaps Nina will come around and accept his friendship yet!
omg! what a handsome handsome man he is! and Wes and I adore the uber-masculine name of Sophie :) only a handsome, loved bunny can get away with such a name!
and so glad Nina is his girlfriend :) we approve of cross species love!
so glad he has a loving home with your Christina and that he was well cared for and loved by his last care-giver!
Fire in the hole! ;)
Poor man! I hate that he had to give up his little baby boy! The world needs more bunny lovers like him, and now he has to give up being a bunny parent.
Sounds like Pippin Angel sent you a message. Glad you listened to him! I hope he bonds with the kitty and that you have many happy years with him.
that poor man he must be hart broken to have to give up his bun,I'm glad you when a brought him home he's gorgeous,I hope you let the man have some phoyo's and let him know how the sophie Boyd is doing from time to time as it will give him peace of mind,xxRachel
You know I believe in magic and all that fun stuff. I know this was meant to happen. It's totally awesome. I'm so sorry and sad for the man, but at the same time I'm happy he found you. I can't think of a more perfect place.
Hugs and congratulations to all of you. Nina you won't be able to play hard to get much longer.
xx
Not sure what our cat would do if he came face to face with a huge bunny in the living room.
Awww. Glad he is with you Christina.
Poor man, he must have really loved his Sophie and I know it was awful for him to have to give up his beautiful bunny. How wonderful to hear about Sophie's great living conditions at the man's house. I am so glad that The Sophie Boyd has come to live with you where he can continue to have a wonderful life. Perhaps Nina will come around. Pants finally did with Yogi.
Such a great true story...whatever the man's condition he is relieved to know his bun-kid is safe and loved.
Oh, my heart breaks for that man. I hope never to have to be in the position where I can no longer keep my animals near me. How nice to be pleasantly surprised for a change, hey? He doesn't know this, but Sophie Boyd has transitioned to a home that rivals the one he left. So glad he's fitting in. Maybe this will turn out to be Nina's first bunny pal. I do hope so.
There are a few guys with "girl's" names: Kelsey Grammer, Carol O'Connor, and let's not forget the song made famous by Johnnie Cash, "A Boy Named Sue".
Magical indeed!
Aw, what a touching story! Have you kept in touch with the guy?
I have Debi. We have exchanged several emails and text messages and I send him pics.
Post a Comment