I have heard some folks say that this generation is the worst. I don't agree. I think we will have more free thinkers, more artists and more caring adults than ever before. I could be wrong. It happens.
There is nothing wrong with telling kids they are special as long as they are reminded that everyone else is special or nobody is. You can't have it both ways. I think all parents want their kids to be the star quarterback or head cheerleader. The problem is that the parents wanted to be these things too. It bugs me in particular for girls. Too many girls are growing up without a real sense of self worth. We still want them to be a princess. I think we should teach them to be warriors.
I know people who volunteer because it makes them look good. I prefer they do it to make someone else feel special. I don't know who this guy is but he should have been one of my teachers. Don't climb the mountain to be seen. Climb the mountain to see the WORLD and don't be afraid of feeling small. You are small. It's not bad. It just is. It is far better to be special to someone than to feel you are special.
8 comments:
I guess the college class graduating this year is about the first of the Millenial Generation. Supposed to do great things! We've got quite a few of them in our "family" - so far, so good!
everybody is special in the own way and as for girls they need to be zena's
No generation fails its society...if there is a generational failure the society itself is at fault. Each cohort of children start our trusting and believing and teachable. If they turn out to be ignorant and/or unprincipled guess who get the blame?
Loved this speach. I think each generation has a purpose in the journey. You know you're old when you say things like "Kids these days just don't understand...do things like we did..." I hope I'm a long way off from saying that. I tend to say. Thank goodness this kid can teach me to operate my damn phone!
A most excellent speech. I was lucky enough to have a teacher like this man in high school.
great words, and I agree that this generation is good - I see the young kids come in the gym. and they are polite and nice and they want to learn - I give them all a chance and it's a pleasure to be able to help them
Darn! I couldn't get it to load! But I heard about it.
If you tell kids they are special, just to say it, they won't believe it. They're not stupid. I don't think it's a great idea to give all the kids ribbons in a game because we don't want to hurt any of their feelings. Then NONE of them believe they are winners. We need to help the ones who didn't win ribbons, to win them next time. Teach them, guide them, encourage them, give them the attention they need. Then they will legitimately win a ribbon and they will value it and themselves. And so when they don't win a ribbon, that's okay. They are strong and they like themselves. I don't know if this was what this was about because I couldn't see the video!
I agree with him except the Mister Rogers diss. Don't mess with my Mister Rogers!
Post a Comment