Sunday, September 1, 2013

I don't know where to start

I haven't blogged in forever or it seems that way. So many things have happened lately I don't know where to begin. It's been a long summer. I usually enjoy summer but I really haven't this year. My flowers are neglected and the beds are full of grass. I feel a bit ashamed of how I have let them go. I have some work ahead of me this fall. 


First let's meet Sadie. She is Corky's gal. You already met Corkscrew on the last post. Well the little monkey butt just would not calm down so I decided a girl might help. It took a bit of time but he finally settled on Sadie. She is a very sweet Foozle bunny (Foozle=Lionhead) They are quite a pair, those two. An endearing little couple. Sadie is no longer shy and loves a good head rub. She is a very good girl to tolerate Corky's antics. It is damn near impossible to get a picture of them together. I put Corky in the chair and then went to get Sadie. Corky was long gone when I came back.


Sadie


Below is a photo of my little Gemma. She came to me by way of Indiana. Many of you are already familiar with the breeder who was taken down by authorities in Indiana. 400 rabbits he had. It was a mess. Whether you support breeding or not (I do not) you can't possibly take good care of 400 rabbits all by yourself. It can't be done. I won't go into the details of their living conditions. Gemma was just a baby with babies when she was rescued. She had a UTI, Coccidia and sore hocks. One of the bunny groups I belong to asked if all of us could help. I agreed to take 1 bunny. A hard case or a special needs kid. I did not choose but asked the director of the IHS to send me a kiddo that needed some understanding and a good home. She sent Gemma Junebug along. There was another bun in the running but in the end they didn't feel like she was ready for that trip. 
2 wonderful youngsters drove from California to Indiana in an air conditioned cargo van to transport the buns. I met them in a parking lot in Oklahoma City and they handed Gemma off to me. It was a long trip but all the bunnies made it safely across country to homes and rescues. This was a huge effort by many people and lots bunnies still need homes. I hope they all find good and safe places.
Gemma has settled down a lot. She is pretty defensive about her food and does not like certain sounds or movements. She is a feisty little girl that likes to explore but every little noise sends her running back to the safety of her house. I have told her she will always be safe with me. Perhaps one day she can accept that. She is a Rex bunny so naturally she thinks she is queen. Darla would beg to differ.



Monday was the first anniversary of my mom's death. It has been a hard year. I adopted Sam and Jack right after mom died because they were her special little Heartland bunnies. They were just shy of being here 1 year and Jack died suddenly. He had been experiencing some issues but really seemed to be doing great since his vet visit. I will never know exactly what happened. Jack was unique and I will miss him so much. I know Sammicakes will too. They were best pals. This will always be my favorite photo of them.


Buddies forever. Sampson and Jack

I really am ready for summer to be done and for fall to begin. I hope this will be a better year. I hope. I hope. I hope.

Jack's original people thought he was a girl. His name was Hope which turned into Jack Hope....we dropped the Hope a long time ago. It's weird how things come full circle.

Hope


Hope is a new bunny at Heartland. She was found a few weeks ago in a cemetery. She was emaciated with deep puncture wounds around her pelvic area. This poor little angel was on her last legs when a lady spotted her and scooped her up. She was handed off to our director late on a Sunday night. Her wounds were filled with maggots and she was in bad shape. Her back leg is broken in two places. She was too fragile to put under for surgery. Her chances were poor at best and that leg looked like it would have to be amputated. Because she had survived so much, we wanted to give her a chance. We asked our Heartland Facebook followers to send her prayers and good vibes and healing thoughts, whatever they had. Well they did and some sent donations for her vet bills too.

I am happy to tell you that Hope is doing great. She has gained weight, her infection is gone and her wounds have closed up. Her leg is knitting. If it heals properly she will not need an amputation. All signs are pointing that way now. She must be kept quiet for another week. That is hard to do because she is so young and full of energy. Her spirit is bright and she is a sweet girl that loves humans. Go figure.

I hope you all are doing well and hanging in there.

Monday Mantra







Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.


Emily Dickinson

8 comments:

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

My heart just breaks for you over the loss of Jack. I just keep thinking that your mom was really wanting him to be with her and they are both smiling big now.

Hope is precious. What a darling girl who refuses to give up. That poem is perfect.

Sending you lots and lots of hugs for your heart my friend. Sending you so much light and love this will be season of happy things for you.

xx

veganelder said...

Good to see a post from you.

I'm with you on this being a painful year so far. One thing after another or so it seems.

Sadie is looking good.

The Sam/Jack photo is a classic.

The Hope-Jack name connection is almost eerie.

Condolences on your losses and appreciations to you for your caring. And thanks for posting.

It would have been quite a treat to have been able to have had a conversation with Ms. Dickinson. Even Corky might have liked it. :-)

Carmen S. said...

I'm so sorry for your losses and hard times dealing with it all, this has been a really bad year for so many of us, I sure hope next year is better and easier. When I read Michelle's comment I had a vision in my mind of your beautiful mom holding Jack, along with all the other bunns who have gone to the Bridge:) Hang in there Christina, I'm always just a fb message away if you ever need to chat/vent, whatever, (((hugs)))

Little Miss Titch said...

Gemma is a beauty,she will settle down more and will be more relaxed given time and love,it is the natural temperment of a rex to be chilled and nosey and fun loving and the conditions she was kept in stiffled her a bit,but she will be all right.the other buns are gorgeous to and a credit to you,Sorry that you lost Jack and you mum but they are together watching over you Christina,Hang in there and know that you are in out thoughts it will get better,hugs and snuggles from us both xx Rachel and Speedy

Carolynn Anctil said...

You've suffered loss and tragedy, yet there is much to celebrate here. So many buns to love, the great coming together of community to deliver Gemma into your arms, and the promise - always the promise - of more and better things to come.

Much love to you,
Carolynn

RG said...

None of us signs up for or picks out our life - it just shows up. Do your best.

Great bunnies ...

bunnits said...

So sorry for your loss of Jack.

Sadie is such a cutie! However, I am partial to little Rexies, so naturally I think Gemma is a...gem (sorry, couldn't help it). She has the same coloring as my beloved little Periwinkle. And then, Hope, such a lovely girl.

Hugs to you and the buns.

Anonymous said...

Christina, gosh it is great to see a post for you. I am sorry it has been a lousy summer, I have to agree. I can't wait for summer to be over. I am not a lover of summer. Sorry about Jack. This hasn't been one of my better years either and last year was a stinker too. I am hoping Fall will usher in some fresh cool air! Take care Christina, been thinking about you.. ♥