I want you all to meet Nina and find out how she came to be with us.
My brother has been making noises about getting a dog. No way. I am sorry but Darla has intense fear of dogs and I just don't have the time to care for a dog. I also cant take a risk that something could happen while I was at work. I love dogs but no. I suggested we adopt a cat. An older cat from a rescue of course.
I began looking online about a week and a half ago. I searched for older kitties that had been declawed. I dont believe in declawing but if we found a kitty that had already been done that would be okay. I felt it was safer for the bunnies. I zeroed in on a bunny name Porkchop.
I went to meet Porkchop the other day. She was the victim of a horrible trauma. Possibly a do it at home declaw. Her feet were badly crippled. She has a million problems. My heart ached for her. I knew when I met her she probably was not the one. She had big issues with having her feet touched and who could blame her. It might be a bad mix with the bunnies.
When I was talking to Porkchop, I kept getting a swat across the booty. I turned to look and this HUGE black cat was purring and begging for my attention. I called her by name and she immediately began to talk. I asked for her story.
The lady told me that Nina had been relinquished to the animal shelter at age 11 along with her sister. Her sister was adopted right away. Nina had been there 2 years. She needed some people and a home, I could tell. They told me she had been adopted out for a few days but brought back. The people decided they would rather have a kitten. Nina wasnt playful enough. I went and got her this morning.
She is currently hiding under the bed. She is grossly overweight and not active at all. Her main domain will be upstairs but I have seen zero interest from her in the buns and vice versa. Jojo ran up to her and did not seem impressed. He just stared at her for a bit and then went back to playing. We will take a lot of time with introductions but I don't foresee big problems.
She will have a quiet home here to live out her life. Welcome Miss Nina. We love you already. We will get some nicer photos when she comes out from under the bed.

19 comments:
I'm so happy for Nina! Good for you for adopting a senior kitty. How sad for her if she had to spend her last few years in a shelter. And don't you just wanna slap the people who adopted her for a few days? Did they really think a cat that age would be as playful as a kitten?
well hello there lil' kitty! welcome to Nina :) xxx
Awww, she is just precious! I hope all continues to go well with the introductions and she gets settled in quickly:) Give her a kitty treat for me;)
Welcome Nina! I love that she is black. I recently learned that black cats have a hard time getting adopted! Who knew? I have 5 black cats. It never occurred to me about their color. They chose us anyway. It sounds like things will work out for her and the buns. She is pretty.
Welcome Nina! She is pretty and sounds perfect to live with the bunnies. Good for you giving her a home. :-)
All of my cats were timid at first until they got their bearings. This is a big change for her after 2 years in a shelter. I have a feeling she's going to be an honorary bunny in no time. She looks like she has a wonderful personality and character and I'm looking forward to hearing more about her.
She chose you, nice!
What a beautiful lady. So glad she will be sharing your home. Thank you for adopting an older pet
I love my bunnies. I love my cats. Have had cats in my life much longer than rabbits. They get to be out and play together, but I still don't trust the cats alone with the buns, even though Pants and Yogi seem to be friends and Twinkie is afraid of all of the rabbits. They don't get to mingle when I'm away. I just feel better with that arrangement.
Thank you Bunnits. We did have a cat before with the bunnies. Oscar was never allowed to be with them alone for safety reasons and that will be the same with Nina.
pretty little thing,I used to have cats and a rabbit and a dog living together I never had any probs with them as they learnt to get along
If she was bold enough to swat you on the butt, there's some spunk in the old gal yet. I'm sure once she's settled, she'll show it. :)
Speedy...Darla was almost killed by a dog. Her sister was killed by a dog. We love dogs but to force her to be around one would be cruel.
Nina looks lovely, i hope she settles in well with the bunnies!
She is a pretty ladycat and is lucky she ended up at your home. The deal with someone taking her sister and not her is crappy indeed. Someone not wanting her because she isn't "playful" enough suggests the adoption procedure in use by the shelter where Nina was staying might need some adjustment.
She's in a good place now (JoJo notwithstanding) :-).
Awww Christina, you made my day! Lucky Nina!!!
Congratulations to you and Nina! Love the name, Nina is one of my favorites. She looks like a big black shelter cat I adopted back in the 80s. Like the black bunnies, black cats are especially intelligent, loving and social. I look forward to hearing much more about wonderful Nina.
Cats are - well anyway, they are good for stuff! And they do need a good place. KB and the bunns here could pretty much give a hoot for each other, and they definitely keep the upper hand. KB is a bit of a wuss.
Ohhhhhhhhhh! I loooooove her! She's precious! I'm with d.moll, she picked you. She knew right away how happy she would be with you. Yippeeeeeeeeeee! Welcome Nina.
Aw! That's how I ended up with my cat Clancy--he reached out through the bars on the cage to swat me!
She is beautiful. I love black cats and I love senior animals. It would have been terrible for her to not get a home. I wish I could adopt another cat but I have to wait till my crazy Mojo (cat, not bunny) kicks the bucket. I'm lucky he allowed Eclipse/Wild Thing and he continues to terrorize the barn cat. This has been going on for eight years. He goes outside and she knows to go hide somewhere. He's a tyrant.
Anyway, good luck with Nina. I'm sure she is bringing everyone great joy.
Post a Comment