Hey folks after reading another ridiculous comment about rabbits I feel a strong compulsion to go over some rabbit basics again. All my blog readers that are bunny people will find this old hat. My lovely nonbunny readers may not find this interesting either so you may be excused if you wish. We may start doing Friday Facts on a regular basis but they wont all be bun related.
My rabbits are all spayed and neutered. The do not all live together. Not all bunnies get along. Mojo, Tango and Dudley are a bonded trio. Mojo and Tango are female, Dudley is male. Spayed and neutered bunnies have better litter box habits and tend to have less behavioral issues. They also tend to live longer. Female bunnies can get uterine cancer and boy bunnies can get testicular cancer.
Haven is a male, Millie is a female. They are NOT a bonded pair. They free roam in a room together. They do not fight and the only time Millie cuddles with Haven is if she wants something.
I do not care if you: used to raise rabbits, currently raise rabbits, eat rabbits, think rabbits are "stupid pets". I dont visit your blogs and make comments that your dogs, cats, horses, hamsters and kids are stupid. Your uninformed opinions on bunnies are useless to me.
I do not run a rescue. I volunteer at a rabbit rescue. I believe that every state has at least 1 bunny rescue.
RABBITS ARE NOT RODENTS. RABBITS ARE NOT RODENTS. RABBITS ARE NOT RODENTS.
RABBITS ARE LAGOMORPH'S LAGOMORPH'S LAGOMORPH'S
Bunnies can live a long time. They tend to live a hell of a lot longer if they are fixed, live indoors, and get the proper diet and the love and attention they deserve.
This one is tricky. "Are rabbits messy?" Frankly my bunnies are messy. Some buns are very tidy. Millie has excellent litter box habits with her tinkles but leaves doots everywhere. I vacuum daily. Haven cannot use a potty box. His head tilt and arthritis will not allow it. He is a good bun about using his "people pads" tho. Accidents happen. I clean daily. I never want anyone to walk into my home and say "damn, what is that smell?"
Rabbits all have different personalities. Some are shy, some are outgoing, some are real snugglers and some prefer to be to themselves.
Tango is a homebody, Mojo is a troublemaker, Dudley is still scared of people after 3 years, Millie is a princess and Haven loves to snuggle.
I am lucky, my bunnies dont bother cords, dont eat the walls, and really dont have any negative habits other than Millie Mouse waking me up every single morning destroying her cardboard abode. My bunnies are not permitted to jump on furniture or tear up the carpet. They have rules like any other family member and I am forced to live by them. LOL
Mojo, Tango and Dudley are out and about everyday. Their area is blocked off by a playpen and they have about a 10 foot wide and 10 foot deep space to live in when I am not able to supervise them. I have stairs in my house and a blind brother. We cant afford to have a blind person trip and fall over a bunny on the stairs.
Okay folks I will leave it at that. I dont mean to lecture but I know my fellow bun lovers know EXACTLY where I am coming from. There is a lot more to know about rabbits but that would take 10 pages. My one single wish if anyone learns anything from my blog is: Dont buy live toys for your kids at Easter and if you take a pet of any kind into your home remember that is a commitment for the life of that animal. They are not disposable.
One more thing: Haven is not suffering. He has head tilt. He has arthritis in one of his back legs. He gets a little dose of metacam daily for that. He moves around fine, he is not in pain, he has a great appetite and a sweet disposition. If it ever seems like he is no longer enjoying his life or suffering he will be helped across the bridge with all the love I have in my heart. Until such time, bugger off!
14 comments:
Wonderful post Christina and bless you for all you do for bunnies!!!
And you as well Carmen. Your bunnies are other furry kids are lucky to have you.
Some people will never get it, they are the unfortunate ones. Bunnies sure do have personalities....
Well said Christina!!! Thank you for each and every word! Anyone who knows anything about bunnies knows that love is vital to a them - right up there with food and shelter. Pour on the love and miraculous things happen. Haven is one of those miracles. His sweet spirit fills your blog and makes our hearts smile. Everybody has worth and we are grateful to you for showing just how beautiful Haven's spirit is. It is surprising that there are still some individuals who adhere to the old notion that rabbits are rodents. Some are just not that informed. I like your idea to do a friday facts post.
well said Christina!
we need more Yous in the world and there would be less ignorant people around (well, er, maybe not, there always seems to be ignorant people around, it's a chronic disease in some :)
not here though!
thanks for standing up for the rabbits and stating facts which are old hat and hopefully one day everyone will know about!
sending kisses to your furs and a hug for you xxx
Christina I also like the idea of you doing a Friday Facts post! I can google bunnie all day but it isn't the same as getting info from someone you trust and know. And maybe if every week is a little much for you(I know the pressure of a post!)maybe once a month. I always find your bunny info interesting and I am always ready to learn something new about your sweet bunnies.
Isn't it amazing, Christina, how ignorant we human animals are about the other animal people we share the planet with? Knowing facts about non-living things is possible without the investment of caring, knowing about living beings requires interest, appreciation and awe.
Too too few of us human animal people put forth the effort and as a result many of us are abysmally, sometimes criminally, ill-informed and....often arrogant, grotesque and destructive in our ignorance.
Thank you for taking the time and caring to know rabbit animal people and to write about your knowing. Tell Millie hi. :-)
Well said...
Well put Christina. Especially the notes about Haven. Baxter did not have head tilt, but some of the other issues and got a similar treatment and lived a quite content and seemingly pain-free, if limited, life. And we learned much from his time.
Nice explanation of your very special house residents. Some people will never get it. Their loss. But, many of us do and are blessed in that knowledge.
I am sorry to hear someone was leaving mean comments...I really don't like that...I happen to love hearing about your bunnies....I don't own one but hope to one day!!! This blog is helping me learn so much about raising bunnies!
well said, some people are ignorant,
Very well stated! Hrmph. Lagomorphs rule!
I aggree on all of the above.
My rabbits have destroyed my house eating baseboards, cords, cabinets, and digging in the carpet. They are all messy.
Non only are some people (I say many people) are ignorant, some shelters are too!
Oh, and sometimes my house stinks. If it bothers my friends then they are not really friends. I once posted on my Facebook page: "Good friends don't mind the rabbit poop."
Post a Comment