Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Question for my fellow gardeners

Does anyone know what the heck this plant is? It showed up in my flower bed a couple of years ago. I never planted it but I suspect one of the two species below brought it as a gift. I have been trying to find out its name and cant.

Momma Robin feeding her babies. She has her nest set up in the Elder tree by the patio.



Tiny buzzer nom nomin on some lunch.





15 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Looks like a yummy lunch for a bee:) I have no idea on the plant but its beautiful!!! Hope your having a wonderful day!

The Fab Furs said...

looks like red hot poker. Kniphofia

Christina said...

Thanks Fab Furs! I have been trying to figure that out for a very long time!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Whatever it is, it's really pretty! How'd it get there?

Christina said...

Dont know Deb but I would guess either the bees carried it or a bird ate something from it and pooped in the flower bed. There were two of them but one died this year.

RG said...

It's blooming! Save it!!!

Christina said...

Rabbits Guy I dont think it needs saving. We love it and it comes back every year.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

It looks like someone planted it because it's so nice. I guess it was Mother Nature!

veganelder said...

The garden expert (J.) here says the flower is a Red Hot Poker.

Lisa said...

I love the blog community! Have a question? Just ask and it's answered!

So nice of the birds and bees to bring you free flowers! Glad to hear Mama Robin and her babies have made it so far.

Christina said...

Thanks VE. J emailed me on facebook. I appreciate it!

Isnt it Lisa?

Rural Rambler said...

Good Morning Christina! I see you found out. I saw it in my Google Reader and I knew what kind of plant it was because I had seen it on someone else's blog but I couldn't think of the name for nuthin'! So, I thought I would just come over here and tell you Good Friday Morning!!!

Christina said...

A good friday morning to you Pix! I am really happy to know the name of my mystery plant!

Annette Tait said...

always known them as Red Hot Pokers
http://www.iflorist.co.uk/p-1481-red-hot-poker.aspx
very beautiful flowers!
hope the buns are all well!

nick said...

We used to have RHPs in our garden and they were a brillant red color. Not sure if yours are a different variety, or if they will turn red. Awesome plants.