
Monday, April 27, 2009
A very special bunny man!
Opa (Grandpa) was a dear little bun that came to Heartland last fall after being casually discarded by his parent after almost 10 years. He was an elderly gent indeed. He had health problems, had been de-clawed (please don't ever do this to a bunny, there is no reason for it) and he suffered a stroke a few months ago. Despite all these challenges Opa was the sweetest natured little bun you would ever be lucky enough to snuggle. He was a source of great joy to all of us at Heartland and heartbreak as well.
Two of the terrific volunteers at Heartland; mom Amy and daughter Sarah decided in March that Opa should live out his twilight years at their home. Everyone at Heartland was so happy for Opa. We knew he would be loved and pampered like a bunny should be. Sarah would read stories to Opa and I am sure he paid rapt attention to his big sister and her tales and enjoyed every moment of it. There was just so much love. I know he soaked it up like a sponge.
Opa left for the rainbow bridge a few days ago. Although the time he had in his new home was short lived, it is so comforting to know how much this dear old bunny man was cared for during that time.
Amy and Sarah brought Grandpa Opa back to Heartland for his final resting place. It was recounted to me that as he was being laid in the earth, Heartland's resident horse Midnight also stood along with the mourners and seemed to be paying his respects to Opa as well.
Thank you Sarah and Amy for making Opa's last days so wonderful. You made such a difference in his life.
Godspeed on your journey to the bridge Opa
10 comments:
I'm crying:( Never as long as I live will I understand how someone can casually discard a PET! So glad to hear he lived out his final days with loving folks who gave him the life he should have had all along! Rest in peace sweet bunn!
I dont understand it either Carmen. Opa was just frantic all the time his first few weeks at Heartland. While the story was sad, I just remember overwhelming joy that Opa was going to live with Amy and Sarah. They are two of the most gentle people on earth with a VERY understanding dad/husband. Their house is filled with animals that wouldnt dare not get along out of fear of breaking Sarah's heart I think. There were smiles all around the day Opa went to live with them. His cup runneth over and I think of him often.
I'm so glad Opa had a wonderful ending to his life filled with love and kindness. I can't believe somebody would declaw a bunny!! What on earth were they thinking!!! Binky free sweet boy! There are many friends to play with on the other side of that bridge.
xx, shell
Declawing a bunny! What are people thinking?!
So glad Opa lived out the end of his life in a good place. He was so cute.
Do me a favor Christina. E-mail me. There's something I got on AOL news I was wondering if you knew about about bunnies. ponyhoney@aol.com
Those who provided Opa with the life all bunnies deserve, are smiled upon by any and all being and spirits who are worthy of notice. Those who abandoned Opa are unworthy of notice by any spirit or being.
There's a lot of talk about death in Bloggerland today. Perhaps its the influence of the full moon approaching. I don't know.
I'm so glad to hear that Opa had a loving home in his last days. I have no doubt that Midnight was there among the mourners. A good soul does not pass through this life without touching others.
Big Hugs & Lots of Love,
Carolynn
P.S. It's illegal for vets in Canada to declaw animals anymore. Thank God that barbaric practice has been put to rest. I don't think a great many people realize that the entire first knuckle of the animals paw is surgically removed. It's not just a manicure, folks. It's a lopping off of fingertips. Think about it. And, it leaves the animal defenseless. *heavy sigh* Okay, I'll stop now....you know I could go on....
Tell it Carolyn! I hope one day they make it illegal in the states too. There are some vets here that are refusing to do it. I have never heard of a bun being delcawed until Opa.
I'm surprised any vet would declaw a rabbit especially.
Such a sad story, but so glad he had a great place to live out his last days.
Discarding pets. Hmph. I basically just got blackballed from my "NYCBuns" Yahoo groups listserv becuase I told a girl that it was not impossible to take her rabbit with her to law school and that she's really not saving any money by entering student housing, and for the sake of anyone reading this who thinks aboiut going to grad school and has pets, please recognize that it is not impossible and that you made a choice. She had had 3 cats and the rabbit was a year and a half old. meaning she KNEW she would be going to law school when she GOT the rabbit, and that for whatever reason all of her pets would be getting dumped, yet she got him anyway.
And if you can believe it, 4 different group members, some of whom VOLUNTEER for rescues, actually defended her and called me tactless and compassionless. One of them said some nonesense logic about how if people didn't dump their rabbits she wouldn't have any rabbits or something. liek that makes it ok.
I am going to drop you an email Lisa.
Lisa, I agree. We've been trying to sell our farm for a while. Actually, we keep selling it and then the buyers can't perform for one reason or another. Anyway, a few people have told me I should sell my horses so I could get to the other state (because I'm anxious to get home and I could get there faster if I could lower the price of my house but if I do that, I won't be able to afford another farm). They say I can get more horses later. Like these horses are THINGS. It drives me crazy! I am responsible for these animals and I love them! I would never trade them in so I could move faster!
Post a Comment