Now most of you could give two hoots about my dad. I am gonna write about him and that is all there is to that. I need to buy a scanner so I can get pictures of him up. I will one of these days. I feel closest to my Dad when I am in the yard. He loved the outdoors and all the wildlife. Yes we are a lot alike in many ways. When someone tells me that they are usually referring to my temper. PPFFFTT!
My dad was the toughest man I know. He wasnt scared of the devil and NEVER said anything he didnt mean or couldnt back up. He wasnt mean just strong. He had to be. His father put him to work in the cotton fields when he was only 6. He joined the air force when he was 16. (yep, my Grandma ok'd it) He was determined to have a better life and he did. He was the only kid out of 6 to get a college degree. (while working 2 jobs and taking care of his family and at the age of 45) So many people pass away in a whisper and never get the fireworks display they deserve. My dad died when I was 20. I thought he was the greatest until I hit my teenage years and then I was a complete asshole. I had it mixed up back then....I thought he was the asshole. I am a bit smarter now. I wish we had been friends and I hope he is proud of me.
Little tidbits about my dad:
He worshipped my mother and would have walked through fire for his family
He served 25 honorable years in the United States Air Force
He rode a horse to school
His full name was Dudley Moore Womack. (yes, his first and middle name are real)
Dad worked for the Secret Service for a time
He coached baseball
He once went ballistic on my brothers when he found out they were replacing the milk in my bottle with pickle juice
Dad didnt drink
He worked as a Game Warden for a time
He sang in church
Dad thought all men with beards probably smoked dope
He sang to me every night when I was little. "Tiny Bubbles" and "In The Good Ole Summertime"
Daddy never forgot a birthday or anniversary. We all got Valentines until the day he died (yep even my grown up brothers)
My dad hated to receive funny cards. He wanted them to be mushy
His favorite foods were beans, cornbread and coconut cake. He loved Blue Bell vanilla ice cream and always shared some with our cat Smokey who would only eat Blue Bell vanilla. "grin"
My dad liked cats
He was born and raised in Louisiana
He wrote us a letter every day while he was in Vietnam. Yes, every single day for 12 months.
The best story I remember: We were traveling cross country and dad liked eating at truck stops but he did NOT like bad language or men who bragged about sexual conquests. I was about 8 years old, sitting there with mom and dad. A table full of truckers (I am not kidding, there were at least 5 men) were sitting next to us discussing the prostitutes they had patronized. Dropping f-bombs and other words I had never heard before. My dad calmly got up and walked over. In his most polite voice said "Excuse me gentlemen. I am sitting with my wife and young daughter and we can hear every word you are saying. Would you mind cleaning up your language please" One trucker said "what are you going to do if we dont?". My dad leaned over the table and whispered something to those men that I still dont know to this day. That table turned dead quiet and daddy came back to his seat. We never heard a peep out of them while we finished our meal. God, he was a giant to me.
One day I might tell you about another dad. Jakob's dad and my brother. That wound hasnt closed and it will be 10 years this december. We will save that for another time.
If you have a good dad, appreciate him and if he has passed.....you can still appreciate him.
Happy Father's Day to all the good guys.
12 comments:
Those yellow flowers look like black eyed Susans to me. Good for your dad for speaking up to those men (pigs, lol;) So glad you have some good memories, my real father is not a part of my life although I did meet him once when I was 12 and was not too impressed, Rumor has it he also fathered 11 other children!
Yep I think you share lots in common. Just from what I know about you and what you say about your Dad. My Dad died when I was 20
also. The teenage thing and thinking he was an asshole, I didn't do that with my Dad but I did it with my Mom. I was so wrong. And Christina I swear, any man that likes/loves cats and repects their little lives is a good man. I truly believe that.
I enjoyed reading this. Enjoy your Sunday Christina. You have made me think about my Dad today, I'm not sure I would have I am ashamed to say. It has been a long time
Carmen-just because they are a biological parent doesnt mean we have to love them. They are not the typical black-eye susans I have seen around here. The leaves are too thick unless it is a hybrid.
Pix-I agree about the cats. No angels among people I think. Only good guys and bad guys and the good ones have lots of faults.
Oh and Carmen my dad came from a long line of piggish men. I wont go into detail but he is proof that you can do better than where you came from.
a beautiful and touching post about your pa Christina! I loved every word of it :)
Your pa will be Very Proud :)
so nice to hear that opa had so much love :)
I'm having a hare give away on my blog if you are interested ....
Aw, Christina, I loved that. I can tell he was a really special man and the story about the truckers in the truck stop actually gave me shivers. How lucky you were to have a dad so strong and good. You made ME love him too!
My grandfather also used to sing "Tiny Bubbles." On the banjo. He was another good dad.
This is one reason why I want to move back to Jersey--to be near my dad.
Thanks so much Annette. We did indeed enter.
Debi...we are the lucky ones to have the good dads. Mine wasnt perfect but then neither am I.
This was beautiful. I like your Dad. Mine passed a little over a year ago. Ours was not an easy relationship, but I'm finding, with the passage time, that I think more about the good stuff than the bad, these days.
Your comment about the pickle juice, reminded me of the time my Dad went ballistic when my brother put our cat on my bare back while I was bent over, filling up the bathtub...you know what happened next.
Blessings,
Carolynn
Brothers Carolyn....they are something else.
Christina, what a beautiful tribute to your father! Like Pix, my teenage asshole phase was more directed at my mom than my dad but both got it for sure. Your dad sounds like a wonderful man. Mine is too. And I know it, and I appreciate it every day. My sisters tease and torment him incessantly, it makes me crazy because they are spoiled brats to not appreciate having such a great dad. I realized for the first time while writing out his card on Sunday, my dad is my best friend.
Thank you for writing this. I am so blessed that all the men in my family live up to the same standards! I measured all men against the most noble ones I knew, my dad, my brothers and my brother-in-law! It took me 40 years to find a man who could run with those big dogs. I love my husband, Roger. Your memorial to your father made me cry, relief tears, sort of. I was drawn to your blog by the crossing of your Haven. Bless little Haven. He'll have a blast on the other side. There are some great party bunz over there waiting for him!
Thank you SixBunnies.....I know exactly what you mean. All the "real" men I know are dead, gay or married. I would rather be alone for the rest of my life than accept less and I know you know what I am talking about....not looks or money but a man of worth.
Post a Comment