Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tango aka Tangalito, Mrs Buns, Big-eared bunny girl, Miss Priss!


I am going to do a little profile for each of my sweet bunnies. Maybe one a day or week or every few days, whatever I feel like.
This is Miss Tango, she is my biggest bun. Between 11 and 12 pounds, she is part New Zealand and maybe a little Flemish Giant. I bought her and her sister at a backyard breeder. I new nothing about the plight of bunnies at that time or I would have adopted all my buns from the rescue. The breeder was disgusting. I knew when I got there I should turn around and run but I couldn't leave without taking 2 bunnies and trying to at least make their lives better. She was part of his "meat" bunny group. (I didn't know at the time) Thank God she is with me.
She was only about 8 weeks when I brought her home. She had never been out of her little cage. I put her down on the grass stupidly thinking it would be no problem to catch her. Lol on me. Her name is totally appropriate. It took several hours to catch her as she and I did the tango around the yard. She was so joyful as she got to use those strong back legs to run around.
Tango is my prissy bun! She always arranges her blankie to her liking when momma moves it. She is a total banana hog and loves her bond mates Mojo and Dudley. She gives the best kisses of all my buns. She is also the most vocal, grinds her teeth loud when you scratch her head, grunts and growls when she is mad and once in a great while she will, oh how can I put this, break a little wind.
She is also the best flopper of all the buns. She loves to flop over on her side after she eats. I just want to run my hands thru her white tummy fur but she doesn't allow that!
She and sister Mojo gave me my education on bunnies. Because of them I did my research, learned as much as I could on how to live with a bunny. If you decide to bring a bunny into your home, please adopt from a rescue. There are thousands of homeless bunnies out there. They are the third most common pet and often the most misunderstood and abused.
Facts about bunnies:
They should live indoors
Bunnies should be neutered and spayed
There is no such thing as a vicious bunny, only irresponsible parents. (same with kids huh?)
Bunnies need regular nail trims
Bunnies need good food, not junk. Timothy pellets, good hay and lots of green veggies. Don't give your bunnies "junk" mixes with corn and seeds in it. It is a recipe for disaster.
Not all bunnies get along but their bond mates are very important to them. They will grieve terribly if they lose a bond mate
Most bunnies, and I do mean most hate to be picked up. Lay on the floor with your bunny, let them come to you. You will form a lasting bond with them.
Keep electrical cords out of reach. Bunnies can accidentally be electrocuted while chewing on cords.
Never Never Never "set your bunny free" in the outdoors. Domestic bunnies cannot survive on their own.
Domestic bunnies are NOT like wild cottontails or jackrabbits.
Love Love Love your bun and remember you are a slave to them. Lol

7 comments:

BipolarBunny said...

Tango is so pretty.

Carolynn said...

Excellent profile. She sounds like quite the character...aren't they all? I'm so glad you mentioned that most bunnies don't like to be picked up. I've only had two live with me, but that's certainly been my experience. I was beginning to think that I just didn't have 'a way' with bunnies or something.

My first bunny, Paco, was a one woman bunny and bonded with me after about a year of pure hell. (I got him from a pet store and he was very aggressive and distrustful....and destructive!) Anyhow, after I'd had him for a few years, Paco would trot circles around my feet every morning, grunting under his breath. Then he'd change direction and do the same thing the other way. It's what male bunnies do when they're in love, apparently. ;o)

Christina said...

Carolyn,
Thanks so much for your comments. Your bunny runny in circles around you meant he loved you and you were "his". Most people think because their bunnies tolerate being picked up means they are okay with it. When a bunny in the wild is picked up it means "I am being eaten". Our domestic buns still carry that instinct. Course, they have to be picked up sometimes for health reasons. I have seen your bunny, you are doing it right for sure.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Thanks for your advice over at my place re: the meds. I'll try your suggestions. Poor guy is really miserable after I give him the antibiotics. I feel like the evil stepmother and we still have nearly a week to go!!

Andrea said...

Awwwww, she is sooo cute!! And what do you mean with "big"??? That's all muscle ... :-)

Christina said...

It is all muscle isnt it Aunt Andrea! Even the "junk in my trunk"

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

She's just "big boned"..he he.. I love the big ones! More to love.