I am mostly Agnostic. Not sure if I believe in fate. I do believe in learning lessons and that the earth is a living FORCE. I try not to get political because you can almost never change people's minds unless you change their pocketbooks. One of our resident evangelists at work has decided that the earthquake in Japan is our presidents fault, the lord is punishing us. She sounds exactly like the wackos from that church in Kansas.
Since recorded history (and before, we just dont have it written down from "before") there have been: earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tornado's, hurricanes,blizzards, mudslides, tsunamis, floods,drought,famine,pestilence and on and on and on. Just because you have never "seen it like this before" means exactly that, YOU have not seen it in your lifetime. But you really have if you start to think about it. Go back and read up from the last 50 years or so and that should confirm it for you.
Frankly, I dont care about the end of the world or my death. Never have. I care about what is happening while I am alive, the kind of person I am. I dont think I am one of the "special" or "chosen" ones that is going to be sucked up to sit on a golden cloud while less special people are destroyed. That kind of arrogance gives me a rash. I dont think the people in Japan that were killed just didnt pick the right deity. The earth moved, that's it, that's all. All it means it that we are small and control is an illusion. Respect your planet a bit folks, it can burp you up like an onion. It is not a punishment, it is a FORCE.
I have my generator if I lose power for a bit, there are always plenty of beans and rice in my pantry. If the end of my world arrives I doubt I will be hungry anyway. I will gently take the breath from my buns and then take mine as well. There you go, there's my disaster plan. Until such time I will LIVE. My world was destroyed when my brother died of cancer. You know its over when you love someone so much you are willing to trade places with them. As time passes you deal but each one of our personal tragedy's is our own end of the world.
I advise you to stop worrying about the apocalypse and see what you can do for your fellow man (or animal) and stop thinking the earth or your god owes you a damn thing. There are a couple of churches predicting the end on May 21, 2011. I believe I will plant a tree that day, it will be here longer than I will anyway. It will give the next generation of gloom and doom a shady place to sit.

15 comments:
So, can I start an argument, or not really, just twist things a bit? It sound like you've had some religion in your life, and it was the wrong kind in the wrong way. Well, religion as a human-made thing isn't that good anyway, but I digress. God may or may not have caused or allowed the earthquake to happen, but I don't think many real Christians (or Muslims, or Hindus, or...) would say their god is vengeful, and rightly so. That's crazy. God made the earth, ok. God, as a result, is everything. You betcya. Now, if we thought like that for millenia would we go chopping down forests and inumanely slaughtering and raising animals? Would we blast off mountain tops for coal? Unlikely. God, as we see it today in our culture, is a man-made religious construct, made for certina gourp's aims and purposes. the tru god in most religious texts is not the kind of God we are force fed growing up. He / she is green, forgiving, all around us, in everything, alive, here now, as is heaven. Amen. :)
Thanks for putting things in perspective, and Pfffft to those religious "nuts" who think they know on which day the world will end, i don't believe it. I hope my post this morning wasn't too depressing, I am just wanting to start the food storage mostly for the sake that the cost of things will go up, possibly alot, but due to our government and economy, not the end of the world. I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother, my grandfather died of Lung cancer when I was only 6 and I miss him everyday still.
Amen, Christina. Amen.
So sorry to hear about your brother. That is devastating. I had no idea and my heart goes out to you.
Carmen-I hope you dont think your post made me write this post, it didnt. I have been hearing about the end of the world a lot lately and some really lousy remarks. I love your blog and always enjoy reading it!
Benjamin-I indeed grew up with religion. The good kind. My dad was a good man who was very religious but never beating you over the head with it. I have tasted religion and simply found it lacking over the years.
Thank you Lisa-we lost him a little over 8 years ago. Jakob was 6 when his daddy died. That is why I am so close to that boy. I watched my brother fight a battle and lose. I would have taken his place.
9 years not 8. Wow time does really fly.
I like the picture - In our area we have Mt. St. Helens. Incredible fury and destruction. Incredible renewal as well! Lessons if you will look.
She really believes the prez caused the earthquake? Wow, there oughta be a way to make some money off that...think she would pay to keep the prez from giving her termites or something?
Have you ever noticed how it is not unusual for folks besotted with religion to sound as if they are out of their head? Same thing if they are besotted with alcohol, drugs, etc...they sound a bit whacko. Makes ya wonder if that religion stuff isn't something that should be used sparingly and only by adults. Maybe you have an addict at your work?
VE- I have a real live coconut at work is what I have. She thinks the president is to blame for everything. She is just a hater. If God was made about the pres you would think she would have slapped at us not Japan. My co-worker is also the same person who thought her cat and rabbit had a baby together.
That should read "mad" of course, not "made"
Great post Christina and well said. Couldn't agree more.
Powerful post Christina. I always feel inadequate when discussing religion, politics, etc. I want to believe there is a God. I was raised Catholic but have been in search of a more guilt free feeling kind of organized religion. I may have found it through a friend. CH does not believe the go to church every Sunday kind of religion and believes that being with your family and friends on Sunday and enjoying their company and living your life thinking about others and doing for others is what God is all about. I really am just trying to figure it out. Been trying to figure it out all my life. I believe in living every day as if it was my last since my heart thing. I do think God is here and I think he has been watching over CH and I along with my Mom who I know has taken care of her "kids" as she called us. I am so sorry about your brother. Lung cancer took my Mom. I miss her more than I can say. My life and I were never the same after she died.
I agree with CH completely Pix. I do believe in something bigger than us just not sure what that is. I am trying to figure it out to and still have no definite answers. I just think all organized religions were invented to keep someone down. We change and reinvent "God" when it suits us and adjust the rules so they allow us to feel superior. The idea of a rule book is just so silly to me. I am sorry about your mom. I always say you never get over it, just used to it.
Amen, sister, AMEN!!!!!
Post a Comment