Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This and That

I didnt take the bird photo. But I could have, I had this exact view sitting on my fence last week. He was using my bird feeders as his own personal dinner buffet. (he was NOT eating seeds if you get my drift) So the feeders have remained empty for over a week now. The research I did says to keep them empty and the Cooper's Hawk will move on. I had a talk with him and told him while he was very handsome, to go away! There are plenty of places for him to hunt and I dont want to watch my beautiful birds being slaughtered in my backyard. I havent seen him in a couple of days. If he returns, I am driving to Missouri and borrowing those 32 Turkeys at my friend Pix's place at http://waterloofarms.blogspot.com/ . I bet that would surprise the hell out of Elmer.

A couple of years ago we lost a big ole oak tree in an ice storm. This spot has remained empty for quite a while. It is a dry, hot place in the yard and I didnt know what I wanted to do with it. I have been adding some peat to the soil and finally found earthworms so I decided to plant. (too early I might add for the the flowers) The tree is a Leyland Cypress that I hope does well. I am a huge fan of evergreens. The little plants are called Catmint. I have never planted it before but it is supposed to be drought/sun tolerant. We will see. I love my little turtle. It still needs a bit of work. Dont know if I want to put in a more uniform border or leave it like this. What say you?


The buns are good. We have been fighting problems with Miss Millie. Besides her teeth, she has had some weakness in one of her backlegs. A new vet gave me some Adequan injections to help with inflammation. It supposed to work well on horses so we will see. She is getting a round of Panacur just in case. (you bunny folks are all familiar with the dreaded E.C) Then she had a touch of infection around her vent area. Sheesh, I want my girl to be well. Haven is hanging in there too. He has good days and bad. I think he sticks around just for me. These kids are both past 7 years old and I want them around for a long time.


The local news here did a spot on the rescue. I could not get the video to load no matter how hard I tried. You can watch it here: http://heartlandbunnyblog.blogspot.com/ it was a very nicely done piece.


On another note: Jake's best buddy in the world, his older cousin Gunner is leaving next month to join the Army Rangers. He is a great kid and has been like a brother to Jake. (much more so than his own brother) I am very proud and excited for him but worried too. Please keep him in your thoughts. Young men know no danger.


Happy Spring to everyone and I want to thank Bridget at http://heartofacowgirl.blogspot.com, she donated a gorgeous piece of her jewerly for Heartland's craft fair which sold before it made it to the table. Check out her blog and her work sometime. They are both gorgeous.

17 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a handsome bird the Cooper's Hawk is, but yes, not one you want hainging around your bird feeders!

Carmen S. said...

Hugs & kisses to all the bunns! I think your cypress island looks great just as is and I love the turtle!!! Will definitely keep Gunner in my thoughts and prayers,such a brave young man to want to serve:)

Nick said...

Had some bunnies once, they are cool critters.

RG said...

Not too formal because the cypress will be a single big tree to attract attention by itself.

Many bunns = much heartache (and way more joy!)

Rural Rambler said...

Elmer is your Cooper's Hawk? CH and I are always saying all we got out there is a birdie buffet. It drives me wild! We have three different kinds of hawks hanging at our birdie buffet and I know they have to eat but NOT my birds! We are always looking out the window and running off the hawks. We quit feeding in April and I always give a sigh of relief, at least I am not making it easy for the hawks anymore. We would love it if you drove to our little bit of MissouREE! Thanks for mentioning my little old blog Christina :)

I like your flower bed with the Cypress just the way it is. I love evergreens too! Your turtle is a cutie.

Hope Miss Millie and Haven are feeling great this morning!

Be praying for Gunner and all our gals and guys in the military. Always.

Bridget is a sweetie!

I am off to look at the video!

Christina said...

We usually stop feeding in April too Pix. Then the hummingbird feeders get ready to go out. I named that damn bird Elmer to make him less of a threat in my mind.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Get better soon wishes for Miss Millie.

Anonymous said...

We have hawks here too. I yell at them to go away...LOL! That tree is going to be so pretty!

Lisa said...

You mean hawks are scared of turkeys? or that the turkeys would, ehm, keep him occupied.

I'm a little confused about poor little Millie Mouse. She has the dreaded E.C.? or she might? would a leg problem be related to that? In any event, tooth problems suck enough by themselves, without even more serious health issues looming. I wish her the best. Haven :) just thinking of him makes me smile.

Love your little tree garden, just the way it is. :) Being an urbanite I've been trying to keep house plants but it's not working out so well...

Poor Jake. (I didn't know you had other nephews. you only ever talk about Jake). My cousin became an Army Ranger in the summer of 2000. He just wanted to study philosophy and decided to wait out a few years in the army and try to figure out a more practical life plan. Had no way of knowing what was in store. I wish the best for Gunner and your family. Hope he finds what he's looking for.

Christina said...

Hey Lisa-Gunner is not my nephew. He is the "mothers" side of the family. Jake's dad was my brother. They were divorced when Jake was little. He is the only kid in the family.

Millie=when the buns at the rescue show wry neck they are automatically treated with antibiotics and panacur. Being able to afford blood tests at the rescue is beyond us. I could pay several hundred dollars for Millie to be "officially" diagnosed with EC. They treatment is still the same as what she is getting now.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

The bird is gorgeous. I take it he is trying to catch the other birds.

I had to crack up when I read the vet gave you Adequan for the bunnies. The vets out there in Oklahoma give Adequan to every horse on four legs! It's the norm. Horse women socializing: "When was your horse injected last?" They don't even have to ask "Injected for what?" lol

I hope the buns feel better. And I hope the young man stays safe.

Christina said...

GP- was the adequan helpful to the horses? Or a waste of time?

veganelder said...

The tree and area look great to me.

My thoughts are with the buns and you.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Christina, yes, it depends on what they have wrong with them but I hear good things about it. I think it's overused though. A lot of barrel racers will do anything just to get their horses running again.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

What's the bun getting it for exactly?

Christina said...

She is showing some muscle atrophy and weakness in her back leg. Maybe neurological but 2 vets think it is due to age and possibly arthritis.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

That's the kind of thing, age and arthritis, that I hear it getting good results for.