Monday, May 30, 2011

Often Unmentioned Heroes

Thousands......

Women's Air Service Pilots


Dogs Of War







Buffalo Soliders








Navajo Code Talkers












HEADSTONE-
WOMACK DUDLEY MOORE
MAY 27, 1931 -OCT. 14, 1990
IN LOVING MEMORY
FOOTSTONE-
DUDLEY MOORE WOMACK MSGT US AIR FORCE KOREA VIETNAM
MAY 27 1931 OCT 14 1990






Love you Dad!








6 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Well said. I didn't know there were dog soldiers. They would have been drafted into that hell, wouldn't they? *sigh*

Christina said...

Yes Caroline they were and of course they didnt have a choice and often they were simply abandoned after their service was done. (that has improved a great deal today) They saved many lives.

Christina said...

Abandoned or shot or killed. Imagine these smart beautiful creatures serving our country then being left to starve or be killed by those they served.

Christina said...

Code Talkers werent officially recognized, I think until 2001 and the WASP's only last year. Buffalo soldiers were fighting in 1866 and blacks didnt have the right to vote at the time. (of course most of them werent allowed to vote decades after their were given the legal right)

Lisa said...

Thank you for reminding us of these shameful elements of American history. It's important to remember so we don't repeat our mistakes (although sometimes I think we do anyway).

Sounds like they treated the Vietnam dog vets like they did the Vietnam human vets :-x

Christina said...

We do Lisa, there will always be some group that we have to focus our anger on. It takes all of us to make it work. I have nothing but the highest respect for our soldiers and always will. Politicians make war, NOT soldiers and they do lots of wonderful things too. There will always be a few bad apples, there are everywhere in every walk of life. I just think its very sad to equate our people in uniform with something bad or negative.