When someone you love dies and the world doesnt want you to stop and remember them, it is hurtful.
If someone you love dies or if they were brutally murdered and you wanted to have a day of remembrance for them and someone rolled their eyes and said "we need to move on". What do you say to that?
I remember not being able to contact my brother on 9/11. He worked in Oklahoma City and I had thoughts of the Murrah building in my head. I remember holding my breath waiting for another plane to hit. The panicked tweaked feeling until my phone rang.
My brother died 3 months later from a cancer he was fighting during the historic events of 9/11. I dare someone to tell me to "move on" and not remember.
I will never be too busy or too hardened or too selfish to stop and remember that day and the people who died.

3 comments:
That makes me mad, that anyone would think we should move on! People are irreplacable. In a way, the more time that passes, the sadder I feel about it. Maybe people who think we should move on haven't experienced a loss themselves? I know I didn't know how bad loss was until I lost my mother.
I'm a bereavement facilitator at my church, and it never ceases to amaze me how insensitive people are toward someone who has lost a loved one.
It's my believe that some folks just don't know what to say.
Move on? I think not. Move forward yes, or else we are trapped in the sadness that we can do nothing to change. Always remember, honor, respect, cherish and love...most definately. Always carry their light in your heart and smile big when you remember...Indeed!
xx, shell
Post a Comment