Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Dead Hitchhiker

Whoosh is ready to hear a scary story.

Since I received thousands of requests to hear about the dead guy hitching (okay 2 requests) here we go.


There is about an 8 mile stretch of 2 lane highway between my house and the interstate I take to work every day. 15 years ago that piece of highway was dark, there were no houses, no streetlights, nothing, just farmland. It is a pretty flat road in places. With my brights on I could see for quite a ways.


I used to get off work about 3am. I was driving along that highway on my way home just about 15 years ago. Suddenly in the center of the highway (now who the hell hitchhikes in the middle of the road?) a man was standing with his thumb out. I can recall him perfectly: blond hair, late twenties, beige dockers, light colored, long sleeve button down shirt. I had my bright lights on. I could see for a long way and then he was just there, out of nowhere.


I did not brake but swerved like crazy around him. When I looked in the rear view mirror he was gone. I was so freaked out all the way home. I was convinced he was going to show up in the backseat of my car. I just KNEW it. (I wrote a fictional short story about it later and got an honorable mention from some magazine, cant remember which one) In the story I wrote, he did end up in the backseat and it ended badly for me.


I can still picture him. There were no broken down cars anywhere, there were no houses, nothing. Where did he come from? Hmmmmmmmmm. I researched that road. It is nicknamed "cemetery road" but nobody out here where I live seems to know why. There isnt a graveyard on it. So?


What about you? Do you believe in ghosts? Ever seen one?


Happy Halloween

16 comments:

Carmen S. said...

I actually do believe in ghosts, when I was young we lived in a house for several months that I swear was haunted! Found out from my mother that an elderly woman had passed in the house and I used to lay in bed at night and hear her walking up and down the stairs all night. I don't think she liked kids either because I swear she pushed me down the stairs one day,LOL!

Christina said...

That is creepy Carmen. Thanks for sharing.

RG said...

There's a couple of old country songs about that ...

Clovie Boy said...

Both stories are creepy!

Lisa Alto said...

I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep tonight now I've read this... Happy halloween

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

Spooky Christina! I would have been thinking he was going to be in the back seat too. So you've been published!! I have never seen a ghost and don't believe in them. Hope I am not tempting anyBODY here :)

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

There is a road like that around here. I can't remember the name of it. It is so curvy that you have to go really slow. It weaves many miles through mountains and farmland. There are hardly any houses up there. There are lots of stories about spooky things happening. One time we had to pull over so my daughter could throw up because it's that curvy. But that wasn't the scariest thing. Coming home from the town of Floyd late one night, there were a number of odd things. There was a big box in the middle of the road. Then we saw a fox. That led to fox in box jokes. It was pitch dark. All of a sudden fireworks exploded and lit up a church we just passed. No people were around and we didn't see the church until the fireworks exploded and there was light. The split second we passed, it had lit up. Then we passed a man in overalls on the side of the road pushing a wheelbarrow with a shovel in it. That led to jokes about how he was going to dig a grave. A man pushing a wheelbarrow on the side of the road in the middle of nowwhere at midnight? Then, more miles later, we passed a man walking along the road holding the hand of a small girl and carrying a sack over his back. It looked like a big Hefty bag. We sumised that's where the dead body was, in the sack. So we saw a fox and a box, a church all lit up but no one around, a man digging a grave and a man carrying the body. At that time, we didn't know that road was known for being haunted. A few months later I read a story about it in the paper and someone told about how he was broken down on the road (it's very hard on vehicles--all the curves and hills) and all of a sudden out of nowhere, he heard something squeaking. It got louder and louder and louder. All of a sudden a wheel appeared in the middle of the road and it rolled past him down the hill and out of sight.

Christina said...

Not published Pix. It was just the honorable mention. As far as believing? Who knows....I cant say yes or no for sure but it surely is fun to think about.

Deb those are bizarre events. When I lived in Louisiana, I saw many places like your road. Many placs.

Lisa said...

Ahhh thanks for the spooky Halloween stories! I don't think Whoosh is scared though.

Do I believe in ghosts? I don't believe in them. I don't disbelieve either. I am skeptical but open to be convinced, as I try to be about everything.

Christina said...

I pretty much feel the same way Lisa. Seen some odd things and very much love to investigate old spooky places. I always try to be skeptical but open-minded. There are so many things yet to be explained. Not that they cant be, it may just be beyond our science right now. I dont know.....I am in favor of leaving a little mystery.

Anonymous said...

love all your bunnies they are beautiful!!

Christina said...

Thank you Mindy and welcome!

Carolynn Anctil said...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Shakespeare.


My word verification: monstris

Spooky....*grin*

Christina said...

OOH good word Carolyn.

nick said...

Dead hitchhiker? Or too much holiday cider?

Christina said...

I wish Nick...tsk tsk