![]() |
| The Bookworm by Carl Spitzweg. |
Books have always been vital to my mental health. When I was young they were an escape and a good friend. They were as I got older too. I can't stay focused on a book lately. It has come about since my mom died. I can't settle my mind into the story. It is driving me MAD. I have 6 books at my bedside table that are waiting. They are calling and I want to answer. I need to immerse myself in the tale and put myself in the story, just like I used to. I'm going to find my passion for books again. I must. But back to the classics for a minute.
I never had much use for the mysterious "they" that decided what made up good literature. Yes, I adore many of the classic writers. Twain, Dickens, Poe, Steinbeck, Bradbury are a few of my heroes. I loved the book lists we used to get in Senior English. I would always chose the one book nobody else wanted to read. It made for great discussion with my teacher. He never wanted us to figure out what the author was trying to convey or what the "deeper meaning" was. He told us to take what we wanted from it and I loved him for it. A book should be savored and enjoyed and wallowed in . Not rammed down your throat because some obscure intellectual snooze meister stated it was worthy or art. I have read plenty, and I do mean plenty, of crap. Not one single book has failed to teach me something, even if it was just a new word. I have given up on a few that just bored me to tears.
I always wanted to read Satanic Verses. I think if you write a book that makes a lot of people want to kill you, it's probably worth a shot. I soon figured out why. It was a bore, a total bore. I slugged my way through 100 pages and still had no clue what was going on. That is my limit. If in 100 pages you can't capture my attention, then I am done. I felt the exact same way about anything written by Tolkien. "gasp" I know, I should be tarred and feathered. Sorry, it seriously bored me to tears. Maybe I'm just not intelligent enough to find the "deeper meaning." Which brings me to another irritation.
Someone I consider very intelligent told me the other day they didn't feel confident commenting or interacting because they didn't have the same book knowledge or weren't as well read as others. I laughed it off a bit for two reasons. The person I was talking to was smart and because all that stuff is just a bunch of hogwash. I can google quotes all day long. It doesn't make me smart, it just gives the appearance that I am. I really don't care. I have met brilliant people who never spent a day in a college classroom and I have met quite a few over educated folk who thinks their shite doesn't stink. That is not a slap at education. There is nothing in this world worth more to me than the value of a higher education but it is a lot like manners, it should be used to teach and make people comfortable, not to beat them over the head and make them feel small or insignificant.
If you ever want a really good laugh, read Texasville by Larry McMurty. It's the sequel to The Last Picture Show (a book I did not like) and one I go back and read often. Of all of Mr. McMurty's books, this is the best in my humble ("snicker") opinion. If I am in a bad mood and I want a lift, I pull it out. A courier at work told me once to never waste time on bestsellers. I thought he was full of it then and I still do. Here is a very small list of some of my favorite crappy writers. (said tongue in cheek) Oh, I am a travel writer junkie too.
Larry McMurtry
James Lee Burke
Simon Green
Jim Butcher
J.R. Ward
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Laurell K Hamilton
Louis L'amour (yes I did go there)
Yep, all crap to some people. I could care less what they think. I hate autobiographies and "real life" murder stories. Other than that, I will read just about anything. Read a book, any book. I don't care if it's a comic book. Read crap and read the classics. I am getting back to my books, as of right now and to quote Mr. Stephen King from Christine "shit wipes off" (google not utilized) and Mr. L'Amour (google also not utilized)
"For one who reads, there is no limit to the number of lives that may be lived, for fiction, biography, and history offer an inexhaustible number of lives in many parts of the world, in all periods of time."
I also don't like most opera music or Picasso. Call a cop. I'm not saying it isn't art. I just don't like it. Feel free to share your personal favorites if you are inclined.

15 comments:
You're much more patient than I am. No way will I stick around for 100 pages if I'm not engaged. :-)
I can't get into books lately but brain is in a fog!
hehehe straight and to the point that's what I love about you!I'm not keen on picasso either I can appreciate his work but its not my cup of tea,Opera some I like some I don't but Ballet oh yes love it,Tolkien well I only love the hobbit and the lord of the rings trilogy the rest of his stuff too dry for me,and other books well thats a bit of a mix to though true storie not my thing a good but should be an escape to somewhere out of this world be it a jackie collins book to Agatha Christe tolkien or even a buffy the vampire slayer novel all of which I love...see I'm a strange girl,Actually if you want to have a giggle a buffy novel is a good read xxRachel
Speedy/Rachel I am huge fan of Phantom of the Opera. I love that music and I also adore ballet.
The original Buffy was a great movie and I will give the book a go for sure.
I try and wait until page 100 Vee. Sometimes I am slow to catch on.
Pix my brain is foggy too.
We had a "read the great books" moment at our place a few years ago. I picked Thomas Hardy - "Far From the Madding Crowd." I enjoyed it - Gideon Oak and Bathsheba Everdine .. just their names suggest their characters and the kinds of conflict. Hardy would spend more than a page describing the side of a barn and then about three sentences to Gideon's flock of sheep - his whole fortune - falling over a cliff to their deaths. Odd.
I have enjoyed James Lee Burke books set in the south. Not so sure about those in, I think, Montana.
Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt books - now there is good stuff!!!
That is funny RG because I am not a fan of the Montana serious either. Great minds!
serious? SERIES!
I'm a big lover of books, too! My taste cuts a big swath, but I have to agree with you about most of the "classics". I've read a couple because I felt I 'should', and have arrived at the end of them wondering what the hell all the fuss is about. Wuthering Heights and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde are two of the most boring books I've ever read.
ha ha, great read Christina!
I'm getting my way thru War and Peace a 2nd time, I get it in installments - a couple emails in my inbox with a few pages a week, over 3 years :) and loving it so much more this time, and gleaning so much from it, that I missed the first time in my intellectual shearing of the text when I read it in high school,
I subscribe to Daily Lit .com and it's really great - read Benjamin Franklins autobiography that way - fascinating stuff!
totally love books!
I forgot to include in previous comment - "Of course you like Phantom of the Opera - "CHRISTEEEEENNNN"
Hi ya sweets! First, I must say that I like this direction of your blog. I feel like I'm sitting down having a great conversation with you in person. Fun!
As for books, I have the same love affair and escape. I wish I would have had your teacher in school. I had to read "I am the Cheese." I read the whole thing and failed the test because I totally didn't get it. I'm not a deep thinker and can't analyize that stuff. I had to read the Outsiders and loved it. My favorite book is Watership Down. I use to read lots of books, but I don't have time now, so I just read happy short things where I can read a chapter. Currently reading "Be The Miracle" by Regina Brett. Of course, I do love a Sue Grafton book. Sarcastic tough girl. Makes me laugh.
Shell The Outsiders got me hooked on reading when I was about 12. The Cheese? Is that about the mice and who moved it?
No, it's not about that. I can't remember exactly. Guess cause I failed it. It was called "I am the Cheese."
You only have about six on your night table waiting for you to read? I have about a hundred of them. I added to my "must-read" collection when one of the local libraries closed and they were giving all the books away. How sad! Can you imagine, a library closing?! I would have taken more but the kid was rolling her eyes and claiming she was starving.
I don't like the very old classics like War and Peace. But I love George Orwell, Ray Bradbury, John Steinbeck. I love William Styron's Sophie's Choice. I love Bobbie Ann Mason, Anne Tyler, Ellen Gilchrist, Alice McDermott, Dorothy Allison (Bastard Out of Carolina), Carolyn Chute (The Beans of Egypt, Maine), Raymond Carver, Richard Ford, Andre Dubus, and my favorite Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale." Right now I have Jill McCorkle's "Life After Life," on my tablet and another one, can't remember the name, about some girl who is dying and types the whole thing only using her thumb. True story. I like literary fiction, short stories, and memoirs like "The Glass Castle." I don't read any commercial fiction anymore. No time for it. I've read plenty and it bores me. Too much good stuff available. Did you read "Towelhead?" That was pretty good. How about Wally Lamb's "She's Come Undone?" Oh, I feel like reading now!
Post a Comment