Monday, September 9, 2013

Open Your Mind

I was messing around with blogger and this is the format I got stuck in. I can't decide on what I want so I will leave it as is for now. I am also playing around with the idea of removing the comment section for a couple of reasons. I am still pondering that. We shall see.

Being caught in this odd funk this past year has driven me to watch tv a lot more. I was never really into it before. I have been on this documentary kick lately. Netflix has some good ones and a couple have tapped into a place I haven't thought much of in a very long time. I like that and it has given me a little shake. A wake up call if you will.

I have mentioned before how much I used to love to travel. It was always so exciting to explore a new place, see beautiful landscape and talk to different folk. I would get the biggest kick when someone living in a different part of the country would ask about my accent. There is so much to see and experience. I feel a little sad when I think I might not be able to do it again but you never know. I have been lucky enough to see a bit of the U.S. and it's fun to look through old pictures and remember those experiences.

Two documentaries I really had a ball watching. The Long Way Round and the The Long Way Down. The Scottish actor Ewan McGregor and his best buddy did the most amazing trips on motorcycles. The first was a trip from London to New York. They went through places like Siberia and Mongolia, to name a few. So many interesting and intriguing places. I was practically clapping my hands at all their adventures.

The Long Way Down was the second trip they took a few years later. From the top of Scotland (John O' Groats, is that a great name of what?) all the way to Cape Town, South Africa. I was glued to the screen. Africa has always been such an intriguing place for me. Where the forgotten children are. Places like Rwanda and the Sudan....man, it reminds me of just how lucky I have it. It also makes me very angry.



Such tragic and horrible circumstances some of those babies have lived through. Ugly things that we can't possibly fathom. My heart aches to take them all home and love them. Many people prefer to ignore things like that. I can also grow weary of the sad and terrible pictures but to ignore it completely is more terrible. They all deserve to have their story told, to have their picture taken and have the lucky people take a few minutes and think of them. If they can smile and welcome a stranger after having an arm chopped off then surely I can spend a minute thinking about them. We all have such strong opinions and quick judgments about how the world should be. I just shake my head sometimes.

Another one I watched recently was called I Am. It talked about how we are all connected, people, animals, trees, all living things. I think they might have stretched the science just a tad but I still took so much from it. From the butterfly to the elephant to the human being, we all belong to each other. It opened my mind just a bit more and I certainly appreciate that. When you aren't willing to examine these things a bit, it's like giving up on life. The idea that genetically man was never meant to kill.....WOW. What a concept. They spoke of a shift coming in the next 200 years. It's doubtful I will get to see it in my lifetime but I wish it for the coming generations.

All of these movies have a few disturbing pictures. One in particular that will stay with me is a little black child, maybe 7, holding what looked like a newborn baby. The baby was crying and had no clothes. I wanted to grab them both and make them safe. I can't do that of course but I will do them the honor of thinking of them often and hoping someone saved them. I will also be grateful for all that I have.

All of our lives are touched with sorrow and joy. Some more than others. Very few of us worry about being killed in our sleep or going hungry. My horizons have been expanded a little more. I really hope that happens for me over and over again. I wish it for all of you too. Please don't dismiss the planet as a lost cause. PLEASE! And please don't decide you already have enough information. Trust me, you don't. There is much to be done and so much to learn.

The best part of my day is when I open the back door and find bunnies happy to see me. Nina runs into the kitchen talking up a storm and Sophie races around downstairs in excitement. They make me happy and sad sometimes too. That's life.


Monday Mantra

Elie Wiesel


16 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Great post Christina, both of those documentaries sound very interesting! I tend to get involved emotionally with all the wrong in this world, all the sadness and cruelty makes my heart hurt. What is even sadder is knowing there are people who truly spare themselves the hurt by turning their backs to it all and that is a shame. I treasure friends like you who really and truly *care* the world needs more of you♥

Pix Under the Oaks said...

Hello Christina! I am back, blogger wouldn't let me comment this morning so I am going to try again.I thought about removing comments for a bit on my Blogger blog back when I had it. Thought it would makes things simpler but I missed the comment section. Ditto to what Carmen says about getting emotionally involved with all the hurt, sadness and cruelty in this world. Your quote, so true!

Christina said...

Thank you Carmen. I am like you, I get very bogged down and emotionally involved so I have to do just a little at a time.

Christina said...

Hey Pix. I had messed around with blogger and changed the comments to "blog owner only" or some such thing. I also had it stuck in some weird format that I was having trouble changing. I am like a maniac when I go meddling around with blog settings.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Well, you know, I had to write that quote down!

I can watch things like this in small doses. I'm not able to process big bites. It's too overwhelming and disturbing for me. I don't think that's wrong, it just is, and I've come to respect that part of me as being integral to who I am.

Have you ever seen the movie War Dance? Extremely good and I think it's on Netflix.

P.S. (Don't turn off comments. It would be too much like the sound of one hand clapping or a tree falling in a forest with no one there.)

Christina said...

Carolyn I have to watch this stuff in small doses too. If it all comes at once, it is too much. I will check out War Dance for sure.

I often wonder if I am writing with the comments in mind. That is why I was considering turning them off and sometimes I get frustrated when I red them and think "that isn't what I was trying to say"

Little Miss Titch said...

Oh don't worry if we don't get what you're trying to say,I some times don't get what I'm reading.I loved the Long way down too,haven't seen the other one.on a good note Speedy's infection is drying up and has stoped weeping,just thought I would give you that nice news,xx Rachel

Christina said...

That is great news Rachel. Go Speedy!

veganelder said...

Any documentary that has Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky in it can't be all bad. :-)

I agree that it is pretty hard to beat being greeted/liked by fur people.

Christina said...

I confess to knowing little about either of them Vee but I intend to learn more.

RG said...

You might read/re-read The Sea Around Us by Rachel Carson or the Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold. Those folks were instrumental in getting us humans to understand we are all part of a big thing - Nature, rather than humans being special creatures just watching and using Nature. Knowing that only 1 in 10,000 salmon makes it back to spawn helps me understand a bit of why so many humans suffer and struggle so.

And heck - nobody can do everything. At least do what you can.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Sorry you couldn't come to France with me.

Christina said...

I will read it RG. Thanks for the info.

Me too Diana. I loved all the pictures and because you said my name out loud...I was there in spirit.

bunnits said...

Thank you for sharing that. I've been using TV as a sort of escape since my nephew died in July. I can see I'm getting a bit hooked. When I'm not stuck in front of the TV, there are bunnies and cats and the whole of nature to cheer me. Peace to you.

Bunnyman said...

Great post, Christina. I spend a lot of time watching documentaries, too. "Long Way Down" sounds awesome, I'm going to watch it at my earliest opportunity. I would recommend "Joanna Lumley's Nile" on YouTube (part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OpgT8lW4eE), it documents Joanna Lumley (AbFab's Patsy Stone, if you like British comedies) as she follows the Nile River to its source. Fascinating, mesmerizing stuff. I find it increasingly difficult to be optimistic about our world, given the horrific politics that abound everywhere, but I also know giving up hope means surrendering to the dark side, and that is the most unacceptable thing of all. Keep writing your blog, I always find it intelligent, thought-provoking, and a lot of fun.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You also might want to read "A New Earth." The concept was so difficult for me to grasp that I had to restart the book two or three times and then underline, but I started to "get it." But not enough to communicate it to you. Only to say that he also thinks we are in for a big change, an enlightening. With all the bad stuff that has been going on, it was something that made me feel peaceful and hopeful. I plan to continue studying this.

Not only do you think about others, animals and people, who are less fortunate than you, but you tell us about it. And therefore, now I am also thinking about the child holding the naked baby.