Saturday, August 7, 2010

My past 10 hours.











I was gonna do a rant and rave when I got home this morning but for the life of me, I cant remember what I was pissed about. The following items are nonbun related but must be told.


I get to work and my regular lab assistant is off. (for those of you who could care less, I am a Histotechnician, that sounds interesting maybe but its not. I cut and prepare tissues for cancer testing. Its mostly prostate, bladders and a big ole testicle once in a while. Yummy)


So the psycho from hell is working. Lets call her Amber. (If I call her by her real name it may be like conjuring a demon) I have a tough time getting along with this woman. She is the nastiest person I know and I tend to pop off, well, rabid tidbits at her. This distresses my co-worker Shawn to no end. Now Shawn is awesome. He is very quiet, very reasonable and level headed and will occasionally shout out really dirty phrases when he is mad about something. Not just a cuss words but really nifty sentences. I adore him.
Shawn brought me a whole box (all for me) of Crispy Creme doughnuts. He knows I love them. The condition was that if he gave them to me, I had to tolerate Amber and not say bad things. "Sigh" What a dilemma. I grabbed up the box of yummies and mumbled a quick promise. Made my way to the coffee pot and hogged up three before the coffee was even done. I was very good all night and did not smite Amber with the jawbone of an ass or throw holy water on her.
Right before I left I splattered a big of pot of paraffin all over me. (that's wax, we embedd the pickles in it. Pickles are the tissues we receive in formalin. I know that is gross right but when you have seen tumors with teeth growing in them nothing grosses you out anymore, I also saw the term used in a really awesome book recently, made me very happy.) That went all over my scrubs.
When you wear scrubs, everyone assumes you are a doctor or a nurse. I get asked those questions all the time. Sometimes I tell the truth and sometimes I lie, depending on my mood. This morning I decided to lie.
I stopped at Panera Bread for my morning coffee and cookie before bed. (I know I had a box doughnuts but deal with it) I really cant stand when gross guys come up and start to groove on me. Especially at 8am after I have worked all night with pickles and a demon, have wax all over my pants and just generally am not in the mood. Here is the conversation:
"You a nurse or something"
"Yes, I am a trauma nurse in the emergency room"
He notices my pants........
"What's all over your pants"
"Brain matter"
"Uh, What did you say"
"You know, brain matter from someones head?"
"Okay, you want to go ahead of me?"
"Yes, thank you, I really need to get home and wash this off".
By the way there is a little grasshopper that has been living in my room the last 2 weeks. I cant seem to catch him to put him outside but I can feel him watching me. Yesterday morning he was sitting on Millie's head. We named him Elmer.
Have I ever mentioned that I hate clowns? That will be a story soon. I have had 2 traumatizing experiences with clowns.
There is a big hole in the back of my mouth where a tooth used to be. I hope it doesn't show up in a tumor.
See Haven was listening.

27 comments:

Carolynn Anctil said...

Oh my gawd. This had me laughing my a** off this morning. EXACTLY what I needed as I sit here procrastinating before I have to in to work myself. I am absolutely HATING my job in this moment. Well, truth be told, I'm hating some of the clients I've been dealing with lately who think that because they have money they can treat everyone else as less than they are and, well, like something they would scrape off their shoe. Ugh.

Thank you for letting me rant here and for the much needed laugh. This was seriously good stuff.

Carmen S. said...

LOL!!! Oh my gosh that is funny, that will teach *him* to bother you;)

The Urban Cowboy said...

I'm going to get me a lab coat and try my hand at being a gynecologist at Starbucks. ;)

Anonymous said...

Christina - thank you for the laughter! It's very hard to come by these days. Have you considered a second career in stand up? The material they are coming up with on Last Comic Standing doesn't hold a candle to this post. I know it is just an ordinary day for you but it's hilarious!!

Christina said...

UC-dont you dare even try it. Tisk Tisk.

Caro-Just adopt the snotty attitude of the women that work at cosmetic counters. Stick your nose in the air. lol

C and Murph's mom-just another day in paradise.

laughingwolf said...

that hopper might be good fishbait, tho some folk would rather eat it ;) lol

good comeback on the clown in the lineup!

Annette Tait said...

gosh what a laugh I had Christina!! first with the donuts and demon, then brain matter and groover then the hopper watching you and on Millie's head, and goodness - I HATE clowns too! hate them, ugh! and lastly I laughed about the tooth (ugh)!

I'm still laughing as I type :)

RG said...

Heee Heeee ..........

I often find that if a person even pretends they are in a "disguise" then they can become who-ever they want - especially someone they usual couldn't be! A brain surgeon! Eeeewww ..

Andrea said...

Christina, you are priceless! Will you marry me? :-) I had such a good laugh, but I think for your own sake you might have to go back to being mean to "Amber." Let it out, let it all out!!!

I hate clowns, too. They are not funny. Never.

Give Millie kisses and tell her to be good to the grasshopper. No sudden movements! He might bite. ;-)

Friend of the Animals said...

Shit, that was great. I have seen those tumors with teeth and hair. But only as pictures in my medical terminology book. I'm happy as a pig in shit with Electronic Medical Records and transcription, I don't have to deal with people.

Christina said...

FOA-I know what you mean. I dont have to talk to the patients, just their parts.

Christina said...

Andrea-Before we can marry you must get permission from your husband and understand we can never consumate as I am not into girls and you need a very lucrative job because I dont want to work anymore.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

LOL very much, but must know: how many crisp cremes are in a box?

Christina said...

Uh, a dozen Diana. I ate them all.

Rural Rambler said...

Christina I knew I had some kinda kinship with you...Krispy Kremes!!!! Oh Yeah :) This whole post cracked me up on this boring Sunday morning. I want to spend a day with you!

Christina said...

RR-I know I would enjoy hanging out with you! I will bring the donuts. A dozen for each of us. And you spelled it correctly, I have always spelled Crispy Creme Wrong!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

A dozen! LOL OMG you ar a stronger person than I am if you can eat a dozen.....

Anonymous said...

You have seen a tumor with teeth??? Damn you have seen it all then huh??

Christina said...

Yes indeed Dawn! It had 4 full sized teeth in it. Very disturbing and fascinating in a repulsive kind of way. Usually those kind of tumors are actually unfertilized eggs in women that begin to grow on their own and attach somewhere in the tubes. If a doc took that out of me, I would never want to know.

Lisa said...

I've heard of those teeth tumors. They can be deadly, right?

I think your job sounds pretty cool and something I would rather be doing :-x Sucks that you sometimes have to work with shitty people, but then again I think we all have people at work we'd rather not have to see on the daily.

I think grasshoppers are really creepy.

Lisa said...

PS. - When was the last time I mentioned how in love I am with Haven? Sweet boy.

Christina said...

Lisa-Haven is a doll isnt he? He is such a precious little guy.

Grasshoppers are kinda creepy, I agree. I did gently catch Elmer last night and put him outside. I am thinking he was hungry.

Those tumors can be deadly when they cause the fallopian tube to rupture.

Rural Rambler said...

Christina I can't believe I am even typin this here but I had one of those things with the teeth and hair! Oy! When I was 28! Mine was a dermoid on my right ovary and it ruptured after a biopsy. The creepy thing nearly killed me!! I still have the picture that the surgeon gave me. Serioulsy. When he showed it to me I didn't even know what it was, I thought he was showing me a slice of pizza. I was still a little befuddled from being knocked out. Creep-ie. I hope it didn't show up in a jar as some kinda freaky carnival thing. So would ya still want to share some Kremes?

Christina said...

Please Pix! I will share Krispy's with you anytime. You are a very lucky lady, those can be deadly!

Lisa Alto said...

:) Made me giggle... even if I'm days late in catching up with the blogs!
Deep breaths and Krispy Kreme will overcome "Amber" always...

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Christina ~ you crack me up! I too would make up stories as my mood dictated... fun stuff!

Anonymous said...

Ok, that was hysterical- and I so needed that today!