
I love sweets. Always have. I love comfort food and southern food. Italian is another favorite. Wine, pasta and bread can make me very happy. As can the pecan pie pictured above. But what I want to talk about for a minute is the fact that we have too much food and spend too much time griping (especially as women) about having too much.
Lately I have been reading a lot about the famine in eastern Africa. It was all over the news for about a minute. Yes, for a minute. I don't like seeing the pictures so I didn't post any. My blog is not political and it is my personal safe space. But I really want to take part in this conversation. My topic? Too much food.
I have too much food. I eat too much food. I eat far too many sweets. I love veggies but don't eat enough of them. I find comfort in food. Then I complain about the 30lbs or so I need to lose. There are children all over the world today who have had nothing to eat. I will go to bed with my stomach full. My bunnies tummies will be full. I have never in my entire life had to go without food for 1 single day.
Women all over today will look in the mirror and gripe because they are eating too much. They are "fat" and their butts are too big, their thighs, their arms. Here is the good news: If you catch the flu or some other relatively benign virus you will live through it and survive in part because of the extra weight.
We are too fat of a nation in America. We are killing ourselves with food. Obesity is a huge problem. We are also doing harmful things to our food. Pesticides, hormones and antibiotics are doing incredible amounts of damage to the humans and the animals. There are problems with too much farming.
Large parts of our day are spent thinking about food. Where will we eat, what will we cook, what we are hungry for....
Think about it a little today. When you look in the mirror be thankful that you have enough food. Don't look at the wiggly parts but be happy that you have them. Think about the people today that would be happy to have a bowl of plain white rice or a plate of beans, a cup of fresh clean water or even a couple of plain crackers. Be grateful.
Thanks to Blog Action Day for letting me participate and Thank you to Crafty Green Poet for letting me know about it. You can check out her blog here: http://craftygreenpoet.blogspot.com
12 comments:
That really puts things into perspective Christina, It sure is a HUGE problem in this country of people overeating all the wrong foods, just think what a treat that box of Ho-Ho's or twinkies would be to someone who is starving, altho I'm sure they would prefer their daily ration of rice and be happy. I agree that our food supply is not healthy either with all the additives, toxins, etc, no wonder diseases are running rampant these days!
Your pecan pie looks divine! And I have a poem for you: "Thank God for dirty dishes, they have a tale to tell. While others may go hungry, we're eating very well. With home health and happiness, I shouldn't want to fuss.. By the stack of evidence, God's been good to us!" It's a fridge magnet, and I read it often :~) >^,,^<
I will think of that one next time I do dishes Kat.
Ever since watching the documentary movie, War Dance, I've been conscious of the abundance and variety of food I have at my disposal. I'm also keenly aware when I waste it. There was a moment in the film, when a young girl was picking up individual grains of rice from the dirt that had been spilled because each one was precious and meant the difference between life & death. It was powerful image that has remained with me ever since.
Amen.
I cant imagine Carolynn....picking grains of rice from the dirt.
I just finished reading a book called "Disgrace." It was set in South Africa. It was so depressing. They bring the dogs who were euthanized to the incinerator at the hospital. Women and children wait for the hospital workers to come outside to throw away the trash and they scavenge through it looking for reuseable syringes, bandages, pills. It's horrifying the conditions so many people are in in this world. Those pictures that were on the news for five minutes like you said--I could not believe people were not screaming about it. Those babies! People are so selfish nowadays in America. We should all think about something good we can do to help someone.
America and all around Deb. Look at what they inflict on their own in Africa and around the world. We are in sorry shape as humans but I have a little hope still.
Christina, I always say that--it shocks me what we humans do to each other. Probably all of it preventable. Oh yeah, there's hope because as many bad stories that there are, there are good stories. Maybe we should try to talk about them more?
Both have to be talked about. The good and the bad. Only focusing on the good stuff is great for us but not so great for the people and animals that need the world to know.
I agree Christina.
Although the bad stuff does make us weary doesnt it Deb.
Post a Comment