
I tried so hard to make the month of August my dedication to New Orleans. I find that I cant. It is infecting my dreams. Filling me up with sadness I cant shake. I am departing from that for now. We will see what happens.
This is my favorite human, my nephew Jakob. He objected to his picture being taken. At 14 he is afraid one of his friends might see. I assured him they didn't read my blog so we are good. He is the two-legged light of my life. His daddy was the most special person I have ever known. We lost my dear brother Forrest to a terrible cancer when he was only 43. He left behind a 6 year old little boy who didn't understand where his daddy was. I tell him to just look in the mirror.
Jakob comes to visit every other weekend and almost every holiday. I took him everywhere with me when he was a baby. He is my kid and I would go through fire for him. God, he is just like my brother. Teases like him, walks like him, same feet, same sense of humor and fairness. A terrific kid with an open mind and a good heart. A real smart ass and slow to anger. He grabs me and his Grandma and makes us dance around the room just like his daddy used to.
We almost lost him when he was 3 months old. He had surgery 3 times to fix his colon before he was a year old. His bowel rolled itself up like a sock and ruptured in the hospital when they tried to clear it. He was septic, had to have a colostomy bag for a couple of months, every complication you can think of. It damned near killed us all. He is well now, thank goodness.
We have a great time together. We share a love of rock and roll, we have taken a trip together every summer and he bugs me all the time to take him driving "out in the country". I am still trying to pry my butt off the car seat after the last go round. He is getting to be a full fledged teen now. One day he will have better things to do than visit his aunt. I dread it and look forward to it but I know its a natural progression. I took him to his first concert, shared his first trick or treat experience and infected him with my love of Halloween. I am trying to teach him to respect women and to go for the girls that make him laugh instead of the one that is "hot".
Jake, I wish you all the best in life. Go to college, travel the world, keep an open mind, be nice to people and gentle with animals. Laugh as much as you can. I know you will experiment with things I wont like but keep talking to me about it. I will always be here and yes kid, I am still looking for Metallica tickets.
5 comments:
What a blessing you are to each other. He sounds like that rare kind of kid with a great heart, a solid head on his shoulders, and the ability to laugh and have a good time. He got that somewhere...Yes, he'll head out on his own, get his heart broken, experiences a few losses and hopefully more wins. Through it all, he will hold a special place in his heart for you, knowing that you love him unconditionally and that you have his back....if not Metallica tix.
He's not very furry.......:~) Have fun!
I am so sorry for your loss. Know that it is the time you spend now, the experiences you and Jakob share together that has and will continue to mold him into the man he will become. It is through these connections that form a persons foundation and character.
And do let me know when you find the Metallica tickets, please! :-)
On a serious note: I don't think Jacob will ever stop hanging out with his aunt who is so much more to him: mother, sister, friend, confidante ... He is such a delight to be around, and he makes everybody laugh when he teases his aunt ("yes, sir")(soft donkey bray in aunt's direction). You can be so proud of him, and I'm sure he knows how lucky he is to have you who has been instilling in him the most precious values: kindness, compassion, and a love for all life.
Everything they said- so glad you and Jakob have each other. I understand losing a brother- I'm so sorry.
Post a Comment