Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The kindness of strangers.


Mistrustful of people and quite cynical, today a stranger made my day and gave my faith in humanity a little boost.


About 10 years ago we had straight line winds of 100mph. I have huge old trees in my yard. Old Oaks, Pecan, Elder and Elms. The night of the winds I lost 9 of them. My yard looked like a jungle. Root balls bigger than a car, power lines down, all my benches and yard stuff destroyed, bird houses and feeders smashed. The estimates we got on clean up ranged from 8,000 dollars to 10, 000. No way could I afford that. My neighbor did most of the work with some help. There was no way to pay him for what the job was really worth but I gave him what I could. There was one stump we could not remove. It is about 6 to 7 foot around in diameter and about 4 foot high. It has been there for a long time.


My mom is 76 years old and lives with me. She lost my dad years ago, doesnt drive and is on a fixed income. (Fixed quite small I might add) I refuse to allow her to live in a dumpy little apartment and struggle every month to get by. As hard that can be sometimes (she forgets I am grown lol) I want her with me. She tries to pay me back I think by doing things she shouldnt. Lately she has been taking a little bitty hatchet and whacking away at that stump. She likes to do it when I am gone so I dont fuss at her for taking on a job that is way to intense. I know her though, made of an iron will she would have eventually done away with the stump.
When I got home from running errands today the stump was gone. I was amazed and asked her what happened to it. A man who had been passing by in a car noticed mom out there whacking at that stump. He went home and told his wife, "that little old lady should not be doing that", his wife said "go take care of it for her" and he did. Came back with his chain saw and took it down. When my mom took him a glass of ice water she asked him how much he wanted. He said the cold water was payment. Not only did he cut down the stump, he removed the mess and cleaned up. We dont know him, never saw him before, may never see him again.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH YOUNG MAN FOR HELPING MY MOTHER. WE TRULY APPRECIATE IT!

7 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Sweet. Now she'll have to find something else to hack at with that hachet.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gawd. That's so incredibly heartwarming on so many levels.

The image of your Mom out there with a little hatchet whacking away at the stump, made my heart melt.

And, the woman who's married to the man on the figurative white horse....she is one lucky gal.

Hugs!
Carolynn

Anonymous said...

P.S.

My Mom is 76 too and is still working full time. She seems incapable of slowing down. I wish she'd stop. She's setting a terribly big precedent for me to follow....

The Urban Cowboy said...

He must have been a cowboy.

Tracey said...

Hi Christina,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving me a comment....even if it was about LSU...LOL!!
Nice to meet you! Your bunnies are soooo cute!
You sound a lot like me in the fact that you prefer the company of animals more than most people. I love the story about your mom and the stump and the knight in shining armor!!
Take care,
Tracey

Anonymous said...

Love it- that made me tear up. There are good people out there. Running into them occasionally is so wonderful- thanks for sharing the story.

Heidi said...

Like seeks like Christina. Must of been a pretty awesome caring and giving human, with a chainsaw.