Sunday, October 11, 2009

Scary Weekend


Jake and I kicked off our Halloween season Saturday night. We started with a trip to Tulsa for their rather well known ghost tour. What a disappointment. Dinner at a chain restaurant was mediocre at best. It was freezing out. The ghost hunt started late.


I have taken this tour in the past. It was interesting then, full of history, legends and spooky tales. This time it seemed to be strictly for collecting the money, herding the people through quickly and finishing as soon as possible. Basically it sucked and the bouncing of the trolley had me needing to pee constantly. Jake said he thought it was okay. I think he was being polite.
On to the scary part.
Saturday morning when I came home from work I noticed Stewart wasnt interested in his treaties. It was odd but I didnt worry too much. His grandma was taking care of him saturday while I was in Tulsa and I wasnt too concerned. I called home about 7pm and checked on him. He hadnt eaten anything. Okay, now I would begin to fret. I called at 11pm on my way home from Tulsa. Stewart wasnt eating, he was sitting hunched over and had his front feet in the water bowl.
Now my brain went south for the winter. I know what GI stasis is. I have never dealt with it. I know what to do but I lost my mind and forgot. I called a friend and fellow bunny slave Andrea after midnight while I was still driving 100 mph to get home from Tulsa. She reminded me of what I needed to do.
Stopped at the all night drug store and picked up Simethicone (baby gas drops) and some baby food. When I got home Stew was cold. His ears were freezing and you could hear his belly gurgling from 10 feet away. I grabbed him and went into action. Got a dose of gas meds in his belly. Put him on a warm water bottle and started massaging that hard tummy. We did that for some time. I got some of the baby food into him along with some mushed up pellets. I had to get some food into that bun. After 3 hours of gas drops and belly rubs I could tell he was getting some relief. He let loose with a fart that would have killed a lesser person and his body started to relax.
I stayed up with my furry kid until 5am. I finally got some sleep and when I got up at 10am we did another belly check. Things were sounding okay in there. I went and got some alfalfa hay and some fragrant herbs for him to try and he started to nibble. He would run out from under the bed, grab a little in his mouth and then go hide. He was trying to avoid Mom messing anymore with him. LOL
We are waiting for poop. Normal bunny poop. He has had the runs all day and that's okay. It means stuff is moving through again. Everyone please pray for poop. Normal bunny Poop.
Nothing is scarier than having one of your furry sillies feeling poorly. I have now had my first education is GI stasis. If you have a bunny and dont know what that is please do your research. I really wish there was a vet available at night for these kind of things. Plenty of emergency vet clinics but no vets with bunny knowledge.

10 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Ommm,poopapooopapoopastewertpooppooppapoop (repeat 10,000 times) I hope he's gotten back to normal. That is so scary! This seems like a pretty good website http://www.ontariorabbits.org/health/healthinfo7.htm
Bunny hugs to all,
Me and Rabbits3

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Poop, Stewart! Just because it's Halloween month doesn't mean it's okay to scare folks! Leave that to the chain restaurants and bad ghost tours!

Rural Rambler said...

Christina you done good. I know nothing about bunnies and absolutely nothing about their GI or tummy issues but I am learning! You are a good bunny Mom. And yeah I am praying for a normal Stewart bunny poop. I have prayed for stranger things.

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Poor Stewart! Oh, I am so glad that he is feeling better. You are the best bunny mom. :)
Do we have normal poop yet?

mindy@thesuburbanlife said...

Awww...poor fur babe! Stewart...get your poop on little guy! There is nothing worse than watching someone or (somebunny) you love suffer from pain. Hope the bun's feeling better and back to normal soon!
And BTW...your ghost tour reminded me of this stupid scare house I went in as a teenager. They were literally shouting "Boo" and "Oooooh...I'm a ghooooost" at us. I was like, "Really? That's really all you've got?" Cost us $15.00 each. What a ripoff! Although, in hindsight, why I paid $15.00 to have somebody scare me doesn't make much sense either. =)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Anonymous said...

How's he doing? Much better I hope. Hopefully you'll only have some fun scares from now on. Puff sends raisins.

Christina said...

Thanks for your wishes everyone. Stewart is eating more and more on his own. We have some little bitty poops but poops none the less. He is back to snuggling with his buddies so I know he is feeling better. I will be keeping an extra eye on him the next few days.(and spoil him rotten :)

Christina said...

Mindy- I loved the staged haunted houses as a teen. Now they are just lame. The same old tired chain saw guy trying to chase you around and Freddy Kreuger. I am not a fan of slasher movies at all and that loud chain saw just gets on my last good nerve.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Wow, you are as devoted to your bunnies as I am to my horses! I'm glad Stu seems to be doing better. He's really adorable.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

Tracey said...

I am praying for normal bunny poop ! I hope Stewart is feeling better!!
Thanks for your kind words about the game and Tebow! He is such an awesome young man.
My mom goes to the away games and she always comes back and says LSU fans are sooo nice :)
Tracey