Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanksgiving

The cornucopia or cornu Copiae is, literally, the horn of plenty.
When Zeus was playing with the goat Amalthea (Amaltheia), he accidentally broke off one of her horns. To atone for this, Zeus promised Amalthea that the horn would always be full of whatever fruits she desired. This became the cornucopia of the Roman goddess Copia, the personification of plenty. Other goddesses, including Fortuna and Pax, also held the cornucopia.


Thanksgiving is not the best time of year for my family. My dad died too young a few days before Thanksgiving and my brother was in the hospital from October 29 thru the holidays and finally left this world on Dec 30th. It has taken a great deal of joy out of the holidays. My family is small now. We still muddle through and try to make it pleasant.

When the weather starts to get cold in Oklahoma and the wind starts to blow through my bones, I start to worry. I fret about the homeless people that live under the overpasses, worry about the kids that dont have enough to eat and may only know a Thanksgiving meal at their local shelter (if they are lucky) and all the homeless animals.

There is an elderly homeless man that wanders around where I work. He never speaks, never makes eye contact, talks to himself as he goes through our trash and ashtrays outside. He collects the butts to smoke and will eat leftover lunches. I have given him cigs and my lunch from time to time. He just takes it and wanders off, never says a word.

This ticks off my coworker to no end. I get to hear "I hate that guy" or "cant he at least say thank you" I looked at him the other day and asked him when all his sympathy for his fellow human beings went away. He said " I never had any to begin with". Obviously.

While we do feel sad this time of year, I am grateful. Grateful for my roof, my job, my arms and legs work, my mother, brother, nephew, bunnies, friends, the heat in my home, car, my puny bank account, and all the food I want to eat and the good memories I have from Thanksgiving past.

My coworker said "god, you feel sorry for everyone and everything dont you"?

Better than feeling sorry for yourself.

10 comments:

Annette Tait said...

I hope you have a good thanks giving Christina, being surrounded by the love of those dearest to you.

That's what matters and that's what counts :)

Carmen S. said...

Bless you for helping the homeless man, if only everyone was so thoughtful and giving we truly could change this world! We have alot of loved ones who are no longer here and it does sadden the holidays for us too, but still thankful for what and who we do have.((hugs)) to you and I hope you can enjoy the holiday:)

mindy@thesuburbanlife said...

Well said, Christina! It's pretty scary the lack of humanity in some...humans. I hope that you find yourself with love and peace during this holiday season. And can I add that I always thought the cornucopia was a pilgrim thing? Who knew? =)
Mindy

Christina said...

Oh hey folks, I wasnt going for the "I am so depressed thing" . I was just want everyone to be grateful for what they have, no matter how little and to appreciate your family that is here and think a bit about those that have nothing.

Mindy- You might be suprised at all the "American" traditions that came from the Greeks and Romans. Very interesting.

Annette Tait said...

Christina thank you so much for putting up the raffle link!
Would you like to also participate in the PIF that I am doing by any chance?
many thanks, Annette

Tracey said...

Christina,
I am so sorry that Thanksgiving is a hard time for you. You have such a wonderful and giving heart and I wish many blessings for you....
Tracey

RG said...

A good tme to think about what to be thankful for instead of what to be wanting. Actually I find that very few people are really sorry for them selves. Most find some things to feel good about - even if it for help from others.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Ha ha, that's me--I feel sorry for everybody and everything too. You ever see that commercial where the guy is standing outside in the rain over the broken lamp in the garbage and he's crying over it because he feels sorry for it? That's me!

Anyway, many homeless people are mentally ill. That man is obviously ill. You are a kind person.

Rural Rambler said...

You are a kind person Christina. I am like Deb, Greener Pastures, and like you too in that I feel sorry for everything and body. People tell me "oh, you're just too sensitive". It is a good and bad thing to be a sensitive person. When it hurts it really hurts but the good feelings are wonderful!

I am wishing you a peaceful Thanksgiving Christina and I love the info about the cornucopia.

Carolynn Anctil said...

All the world's ills can be overwhelming at times, it's true. Better to feel compassion and not be able to do enough, than to feel nothing at all. There are a lot of homeless people where I work, as well and a great many of them suffer from mental illness. I'm sure the gentleman you give to from time to time appreciates your good will. As for your colleagues, the verse "Judge not, lest ye be judged" comes to mind.

My...you've brought out the philosophical in me today.