Saturday, December 4, 2010

Tell me a story Momma!

Every year at Christmas I read A Christmas Carol. I watch all the old versions of it too. I am a sucker for them. I am currently reading it out loud to Haven. Silly, I know but I am so grateful he is still with us.
3 weeks ago on Sunday, I had Haven in my arms. I was headed out the door to take him to the vet and help him across the bridge. I told not a soul. My heart was breaking wide open to see him in so much pain. Haven was diagnosed with Osteomyelitis (that is a very serious bone infection) and his ankle was completely turned inward. He was using his face to push himself to a standing position. He was doped to the hilt with pain meds and still hurting.
I am a problem solver. From the moment I brought Haven home I was determined to "make him better" We tried different antibiotics, anti-parasite drugs, herbal meds, and on and on. He has fought off pneumonia 3 times this year. His skin and coat were so unhealthy his fur was gone on both back legs. He could no longer stand to use the bathroom.
I have consulted with numerous bunny folks, vets, read case studies, talked to dreaded breeders, read books and driven us all crazy with "Haven talk" over the past few months.
I decided to try one more routine for Haven. A combo of a new antibiotic and something called Aquapuncture. Someone who I trust very much is advising me.
Haven is walking again. He has had no pain meds since Monday. He can stand to use the bathroom again. He can stand up to eat again. Haven is no longer using his leaning box constantly. His head tilt has straightened out a bit. (only slightly folks, no miracles)
There is an inherent danger to the Internet. There are so many groups and "spaces" that hand out bunny advice without thought. I have become so frustrated with listening to other people tell me what is best for a particular bunny I could scream. There is not one person who knows everything about bunnies. I dont care who it is or how much experience they have had. Haven has a terrific bunny vet but even she is not a "bunny expert" Guess what? Nobody is. Every bun is different and reacts/responds to different treatments. You have to keep trying new things and make up your own mind. I felt like whatever I did, it was better than letting him suffer.

It is so wonderful to walk into the room and have my baby get up and greet me. I will not let him get to the point he was a few weeks ago. It was selfish of me. We just love him so much and want him with us as long as possible. He is not only better but is thriving.

As Tiny Tim would say "God Bless Us Everyone!"

God Bless you Haven. (whoever she is)


11 comments:

Lisa Alto said...

Wow Christina. Amazing to read how he's perked up: haven is so lucky to have you. I say God Bless You and Haven especially xxx

Crafty Green Poet said...

Wow, great that he's doing so much better!

veganelder said...

Hooray for Haven!!!

Annette Tait said...

Christina I agree with all you say. I'm going thru alot with Wesley and his URI. My homeopathic vet Margot is just the best ever, but even she is learning too, and me aswell, as I seek out new answers.
I'm so happy this aquapuncture is working for Haven, bless him, and bless you too for not giving in, standing by yourself and being level headed enough to make up your own mind.
But I know you are like that anyway :)
I wish I had all the answers but I sure don't.
kisses for Haven xxx

Carmen S. said...

I am all teared up reading that Christina, how wonderful that Haven has turned around! I know how much you love them all and I'm so glad you found something to help:)

Deb Cushman said...

I've discovered that even human doctors don't always know what's wrong or what's best. You have to go with what you believe to be best for your own situation.

Haven is a lucky bun to have you trying so hard to make a better life for him. Good luck!
Freckles and Deb

RG said...

Marnie, Scooter, Baxter ... all the same difficult times. What, when, why.

Hang in there.

Carolynn Anctil said...

This is awesome news. I know, first hand, how heart wrenching it can be to have an animal suffer. I commend you for doing everything that you could for Haven. I'm so glad that something 'stuck' and he's doing better. So much of animal husbandry seems to be guesswork. Please give him a big kiss and a hug from us over here. We love him too. xoxox

bunnythreads said...

BLESS you!!! I too took Beloved Professor Baby to a vet that was helpful to a point then I went to a the University near by & sought out the Prof in reasearch of AG & small animals...took my bunny's problems. My bunny got a mosquito bite & tore him self bloody to scratch it-by the time I found him he was bloody.rushed to the hospital ..they rarey saw bunnys -he was noteven 2,I told them what ever it took & I was going to stay with him-he was septic-iv antibotic thru the night-he was give no hope. He came home the next day with half his fur gone. He needed special care & LIKE you SAID WE FIND WHAT THINGS that work for THEM... my bunnies lives in a heahed garage attached to our house, this guy came in side & became cripled/splayed with his front legs but he found a way to scoot around & hop in a litttle hammock to sleep & spent his days under a little stool with a bar under it he wedged thru... every few weeks we figured out a papaya pellet my vets brother worked on.
This wonderful bunny lived a `different' life high maintence many thought but he was sugh an ANGEL what he endured & what he taught us. & how he lived & how he adapted & used his potty box & hammock. I will have to put them up in by blog one day. He crossed the rainbow bridge as he heart just gave out one day just after I left the room for 5 minutes.. but he is 1 Angel bunny that will never be forgotten & you are correct to write about INTERNET DANGERS! We never know what is right.. I had tears when I saw your picture & read then..I breathed relief as you & Haven got thru this...tears of joy...
bless you dear bunny friend
http://bunnythreads.blogspot.com/

Rural Rambler said...

Christina my heart is so happy for you and for Haven. He is a special bunny. They all are but he loves life and he is a fighter!!

Lisa said...

Christina I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that Haven is feeling better. No one likes to see her loved ones suffer, be they human, bunny or otherwise. Let's just hope he stays on the mend. Snuggles to Haven and to the rest of your warren.