Methinks I need to rant for just a moment. The Oklahoma City Humane Society appears on our local news here (News 9) to promote animal adoptions. Great, wonderful, fabulous. Today they featured a little cutie puppy and talked about their 12 Days Of Catmas program. You can adopt an adult cat for free for 12 days. The rocket scientist of a reporter said "cats and dogs make great stocking stuffers" and then everyone had a nice chuckle.
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? Congrats! You just set the work of the Humane Society back about 20 years.
Results of giving dogs and cats (and other animals) as Christmas presents? If they dont end up back at the Humane Society in three months, they most certainly will end up at the pound.
Giving away animals for free? Oh Gosh, who doesnt love a free animal? I know snake breeders love free little cuddly animals. Bunchers love ( I will let you google Bunchers) love love free animals. They can sell them to labs and make a little cash for them. Lets not forget backyard breeders and those great folks who sell animals at flea markets and auctions.
Someone needs a swift kick in the ass. I wrote the H.S. and I really hope they will re-think what they did today.
15 comments:
10 hearty butt whacks from the House of Rabbits too. Way to go ...
Dopes.....
Makes me angry... And im not even a cat person
Christina, I just saw your post and I went to their site to see how they are explaining this. There was no explanation. In fact they were bragging about how this year's cat give away was going to be bigger than last year's. ???? It also said that the OKC Animal Shelter partnered with them in this! How crazy is that!! Even a stupid person should know the long list of risks with doing something like this. My comments kept getting longer and I kept deleting them. I'll just close this now with *heavy sigh*.
"Children needing parents make great stocking stuffers". "Free Children"...maybe DHS could mimic the campaign and get more children placed into homes....well...placed somewhere anyway.
I'm sure (I hope) that they had good intentions, but yeah, couldn't agree more with you. Craigslist will be overflowing with free animals come Jan/Feb (more than it is now). :(
Some people were obviously not thinking very clearly. While it's admirable to find creative ways to help these animals find good homes, the emphasis on "good" homes needs to be more important than just handing them out to any yahoo who walks through the door.
No offense, but this was one of the reasons I moved from Oklahoma. I couldn't stand so much ignorance and resulting neglect and abuse of animals. Those Christmas stocking stuffers will be lucky if they wind up back at the Humane Society or the pound. I used to get dogs dropped off at my property on a regular basis because we had a nice house and we were from Jersey so they thought we had a lot of money and we could take care of their messes--all their backyard breeding. One time I found a box of puppies at the end of my driveway. Another time a cute beagle type pup appeared with a hole in her tummy where her innards were exposed. Probably born that way and they "disposed" of the dog at my place. I made the mistake of bringing her to the local animal control (this was around Henryetta). It was next door to the firehouse or transportation department, can't quite remember. Well, the woman who checked us in, pulled the pup out of the crate I brought her in and pushed her with her foot into another crate because she didn't want to touch her! Right in front of me. I couldn't believe my eyes. I never got over feeling guilty about that. But I had no idea people in these kinds of positions would treat an animal that way.
No offense taken GP-I know there is a lot of ignorance here with animals. My friends used to live in the country and have seen people throw animals from the windows of moving cars.
We also have one of the highest rates of child abuse and spouse abuse in this state.
I remember being shocked at how many shootings went on. I was surprised by that, having grown up in an inner city in New Jersey where the crime rate was high. But you never heard of people shooting each other. And people learned about spaying and neutering their animals back in the 70's. That was another thing I was shocked about. I hadn't seen testicles on dogs in years until I moved to Oklahoma. It looked weird to me! lol
Some people just have no clue. Kudos to you for writing to the H.S. about it.
Sad, really. They are adult cats too. Don't know why that breaks my heart a little faster, maybe cause I'm old. They deserve forever homes. Good of you Christina to fight the fight. What WERE they thinkin?
Couldn't have said it better Christina. I was just wondering, whether the Humane Society does mandatory s/n before adopting out an animal? Here, any rescue group or the pound will not allow a pet to go home, even if already "spoken for", unless they're ALREADY spayed/neutered. No way around it. Not that it makes it any better to give them away for free, but it does prevent some of the backyard breeding issues at the very least.
Lisa-Yes the H.S does spay and neuter all the animals before they are adopted.
Post a Comment