Friday, December 23, 2011

The Christmas Goose

Does simply a bad word from someone wreck your day? Is your chin always down, do your feet drag? If someone says something you don't agree with do you decide to hate them forever? Do you spend too much time thinking about how the world is a terrible place and everything is unfair? Do you focus on all the horrors and the sorrow?



Look at ole Mills. She does none of these things. She had one leg pinned, she now has a mysterious spinal injury and drags the other leg, she is older and doesn't feel too great most of the time. I bet she never spent a day thinking about bad stuff. Nah, no way. Animals are smart enough to know what a waste that truly is. Animals don't bother with politics and philosophy, they simply are. (neither do little children by the way) I suggest they are the ones that have it all figured out.

An old and ex-friend found out a few months ago that he had cancer. He now tells everyone he is going to die. The doctors caught it early, he is cancer free and recovering nicely but he is still convinced death is eminent. I pity him this holiday season and beyond because for him there will never be anything wonderful or good about life, despite the fact that he has a nice and paid for home, someone who loves him, 2 furry companions and money in the bank. He refuses to give at Christmas because "nobody ever gave me anything"......PPFFFFFT.

Another friend shared with me recently that she was abused as a child. She seldom got a present for Christmas ( and I am sorry to say she may not have ever experienced the excitement of Santa) and was very very poor. Yet everything single thing about her life and attitude is filled with goodness. She shares everything she has and finds the beauty in life, the satisfaction from a little comfort and the knowing that you are lucky if just one person loves you. Some spend years pondering on how their life went wrong and some just grab the ball and run with it. I consider myself very lucky to have people like her to balance out the sorrow eaters and the folks that are always falling on the sword.


I am taking the long way around to tell you about my Christmas gift. I always say I don't need anything and I don't, nothing material anyway. Having a few extra coins I can share is my Christmas pleasure. I am no saint or anything special. I share because I have always had more than I needed, even when times are tough, I still have enough. Seems to me people have been more generous this year. I love the stories of the layaway angels (if you haven't heard about this, please google it)



I cannot stand and weep at every animal that gets killed in the road but I can pull the car over to offer some assistance when needed. Some of you who are on facebook know about the Canada Goose lady that got hit by a car. Her beak was broken, her face was filled with blood and part of her tongue cut off. I couldn't just leave her there to die, I am no hero but felt duty bound to offer her a chance or at least a better death than freezing and dying in pain on the side of the highway. I pulled over and gently gathered her up and raced her out to the wildlife rehab. Massive head trauma. The next 10 to 12 days are critical.

Got word a few days ago that Goose Lady will live. She will spend the winter at the wildlife rehab and be released back into the wild when she is all better. Her survival is my Christmas gift this year. My something wonderful. The picture and article I have about her is in adobe so I could not figure out how to post it but if you want to read it, drop me an email and I will forward it to you. I feel so very pleased and happy that she will make it. It wasn't just her second chance but another chance for me. I accidently ran over and killed a turtle this summer. Miss Goose added the weight to balance that out, to keep the carousel going around. Thank you Goose girly.


I have tons of favorite books, quotes, movies etc. My very favorite story will always be A Christmas Carol. Its all about second chances. Not people giving you second chances or you giving them second chances but you recognizing for yourself when a second chance comes along and not turning your nose up at it. Your chance to balance the weight and keep the carousel going around.


I wish you all a very happy holiday season and leave you with this:


There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say, Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round - apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that - as a good time: a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!


"It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humour."- Charles Dickens


A Christmas Carol


12 comments:

Carmen S. said...

What a lovely post Christina, and I was so thrilled to hear the happy ending of the goose story! You are such a special lady, bless you for all you do and Merry Christmas to you and yours, I am very proud to call you *friend* (((((BIG HUGS)))))

Carolynn Anctil said...

Such good news about Goosey Girl! What an absolute blessing. It's those things that are special to me, as well and I think you for letting me share in the joy of it!

Crafty Green Poet said...

So glad to hear that the goose survived!

Animals just are - you're so right there...

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Jade said...

Glad to hear that Goose Lady will survive--and so sorry that your ex-friend cannot recognize the second chance he has been given. Wishing you and yours a blessed and bunderful Christmas and the Hoppiest of New Years!

Annette Tait said...

that is wonderful Christina that Ms Goose is getting better! I have always loved Canada geese. She will be very thankful this year. And yes, I can see your balance with the turtle and I understand what you mean.
Sending Millie hugs xxx
have a great day tomorrow :)
Annette and Wes

Lavender Rabbit said...

Wow, what a story about Goose Lady! Canada Geese are so gorgeous. A perfect story to end the year with.

A choice to seek the goodness in everyday sounds like something I should put on my wall. Love it.

Wishing you and yours a very happy Christmas!

Pix at Under the Oaks said...

A wonderful post Christina! Your story about Goose Lady makes me smile. Have a Very Merry Christmas!

bunnits said...

So glad you came along for the Goose Lady.

Your thoughts are right on. I've had a family member who, as my sister used to put it, enjoyed poor health and reminds me a great deal of your ex-friend who had cancer. Exasperating. And then there are the folks who have quite unfortunate circumstances in their lives and just have the best attitude ever.

THanks and Merry Christmas.

veganelder said...

Millie is a beauty. Thank you for looking out for her. Great post...thanks Christina...for all you do.

Lisa said...

Oh, Christina, I admire Millie Mouse, and your second friend, but I fear I am a sorrow sucker myself. I'm such a negative person, such a complainer, and I know it's not pleasant for anyone. I so much prefer to be around people like your friend. Something I try to work on any time I can remember.

I am so so so happy to hear about Ms. Goosey! Please do send along her story if you could. And your foxes below are very lovely but also a little scary with four bunnies just inside.

Christina said...

Meh Lisa....we all complain. I can see your life being spent to help the less fortunate...that is never a waste. All of us bitch sometimes. I am good at it myself.

Anonymous said...

wow, i need to pay attention, i missed a lot. so happy for goose lady, and that was a wonderful thing you did.