Thursday, April 1, 2010

Touched by an Angel


A year ago this month my precious Haven came to live with me. What a privilege it has been to have him in my life. For those of you that may not know Haven has a pretty severe head tilt and other ailments. He was a resident of the hospital warren at Heartland. Normally the hospital buns arent available for adoption but Jeannie (our director) trusted me enough to allow me to adopt Haven. The pic is from last April, this was a really good day for Haven and he was able to hold his head quite high.


Determined to make Haven's head tilt better we began a six month long routine of vet visits and meds. We did 3 kinds of antibiotics during this time, anti-parasite drugs, and herbal remedies to make him stronger. I put him through a lot trying to get him a little better. Not much helped. He looked at me one day and I could almost hear him say "ENOUGH, this is as good as it gets Mom" and so we stopped and just let him be. Now he only goes to the vet if something changes with his health. He continues to have weepy eye on occasion and we doctor that with the eyebright tea (great stuff)


Haven has always been allowed free range of my bedroom. We have a baby gate up in case he decides to wander too far. My house is two story and we cant risk Haven falling down the stairs so the baby gate stays up. Haven prefers to stay in his little corner and use his leaning box. We have an open playpen around for extra "leaning" support but it is never closed. He uses his puppy pads like a champ ( a litter box is just too big an obstacle for him).
Haven has good days and bad. He is an older bun and his back legs are weak but still work pretty good. I have noticed in the last 3 months he is slowing down a bit. ( I have slowed a bit myself) He has trouble scratching his ears and we do that for him. He has a bit of dry skin around his ears (no, its not mites) and we massage a little olive oil into to them for him. It always makes him feel better. He has put on about 2 pounds this last year and is spoiled rotten. I debated for a very long time after Nemo left about getting him a new bondmate. I decided against it. He doesnt need the stress. I think he is enjoying being a single bun and getting all the attention. He is a little beggar and wants a bite of whatever you are having. He will sidle up beside you when you are eating and look longingly at you for a taste. He used to pick up his food bowl and slam it against the wall when it was empty. He is a little character.
Haven has taught me so much. He isnt my first tilty bun and he wont be the last. There is a special bond that forms with special needs bunnies that is incredible. He is totally vulnerable and dependent on me. It is very humbling and I would fight tigers for him. My favorite thing is to lay on the floor with him. He stretches his long body along my chest and stomach and is content to just lay there and snuggle. He is indeed a doll.
Haven was abandoned at a feed store many years ago. Jeannie walked into the store before the "snake guy" got there. He was very lucky that day but really and truly, I am the lucky one.

14 comments:

Lisa said...

What a BEAUTIFUL story. Made me tear up a little.

Haven sounds like an absolute doll.

(Sogna used to do the same thing with the food bowl when I first got her. She and Biff were both in pens because they were still bonding, and I had to stop giving her the ceramic bowls because she'd wake me up slamming them against the bars!)

Carmen S. said...

Christina~ I am all teared up! I think You are an angel yourself for all you give to buns in need! I have a "special needs" German shepherd, she has blossomed into such a wonderful dog (now 8 yrs. old) from the fearful puppy she was when we got her, she was so shy and backwards no one else wanted her. She also has medical problems that we are blessed to be able to control for her. Haven is such a sweetie and so lucky to have you:)

mindy@thesuburbanlife said...

Awwww...what a sweety baby bun! And I think you're an angel yourself, kiddo! Your love and respect for your furbabies rings true with each word you write! =)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com

Annette Tait said...

He is indeed an angel Christina!! (I'm wiping the tears away!) and so very, very special. You are right about special needs buns being very precious - our Zai was so precious, and sometimes treatments are just too much for them to endure. Wesley is very special too. I held him close tonight and we had an intimate time together, after his breathing slowed down!!
sending love to Haven xxx and a big hug to you for being his mum :)

The Bunns said...

We had Scooter that way .... you learn so much about the strength of will ... no matter how hard, Scooter never quit! He lived in a baby crib with a soft bumper pad and seemed quite content!

Rural Rambler said...

Haven is a sweetie of a bunny Christina. Your a sweetie too!

Rising Rainbow said...

Haven sounds like a sweet bunny. Very cool you guys found each other.

Friend of the Animals said...

Yes, great story. Glad to see you blogging a bit more again. I will have your book to you soon.

Charlotte said...

That is a beautiful story... such love.

I know what you mean when you write you would fight tigers. Sometimes I look down at Humphrey and I just think there is nothing, nothing you could do that could make me stop loving and taking care of you.

It IS a very special bond.

Love Charlotte
x

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh how sweet, Haven does sound adorable, so glad you got to him before the snake guy...

Anonymous said...

You and Haven are both so lucky to have each other! I'm so glad you found each other. Some of these lessons are coming to me through Floppy now...

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Christina - YOU are an Angel as well. Seriously. Special needs animals really do hold a special place in my heart, as well. "I would fight tigers for him" -- whew, that gave me a lump in my throat.
Hugs to you and Haven.
B

Miss Ruthie said...

This made me tear up, too. I also have a head tilt bunny, a little girl named Pixie. She is very young and has actually made a wonderful recovery, but I also know the sadness that comes when bunnies don't do well. You are right, there is a very special bond between a special needs bunny and her caretaker. I have learned so much from these bunnies. My best wishes to you and Haven.

The Vamp Tramp said...

Haven is adorable! I love all your bunnies. They are so sweet.