
Today is the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Why is that significant to me? Oh, let me see, I'll tell you a story.
My mother was raised in Germany, in what later became East Germany. She survived the war, Hitler and then Communist Russia. She decided in 1951 at the age of 19 she was going to try and escape to West Germany. She wanted a better life, more opportunity, and to send some money home to her family. My grandmother had 5 children and lost a husband to war. There was nothing left for them. My brave mother wanted to make it better.
Imagine being 19, escaping with nothing, risk being shot or imprisoned for the rest of your life. The Wall was not yet in place. My mother knew a boy that had helped others get out. She decided to try it. There may be no return for her. Never to see her family again. I doubt I would have the guts.
They waited until dusk. When the guards were changing shifts, they ran. Across the highway and into the woods. It was a long, frightening walk to West Berlin. They made it.
Mom got a job in West Berlin. She worked her butt off and was able to survive. Send money home to her family. My dad was an American soldier stationed in Germany. You can guess the rest.
Momma became an American citizen as soon as possible, she learned English on her own. (my dad spoke pretty fluent German when they met) She was only able to go home 3 times after all these years. All her family still lives in what was "East" Germany.
Imagine living in a city like Berlin, a wall is put up and you cant cross it, even if your family lives on the other side. What courage she had. Building walls between humans? I really dont think so.
There is a lot more to her story. I wont try and tell it all here and now but I will share more as time goes by.
9 comments:
Christina, what a story of courage! A very interesting story. I was born in 1951 while your Mom was risking her life to make it a better life. There is a portion of the Berlin Wall at Westminster College in my husbands hometown. We pass it almost everytime we visit his Mom, it takes on an additional thought for me now. I will be looking forward to more of the story.
No wonder she thought she could chop down the huge tree stump with her hatchet......cheers to her and her great spirit.
What a courageous woman! I was born in west germany, my mother married an american soldier when I was 5 and brought me over here! Seems we have more in common than the love of bunnies:)
How wonderful to treasure family so much that you are willing to risk death to protect it. Your mother's daughter inherited her courage and her dedication to her family. It's an honor to know you both.
Wow...that is truly an inspiring story! Please share more, I would love to hear it. It really is an amazing anniversary and point in history. Thanks for sharing! =)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com
I cannot fathom the depth of courage that would take.
I worked with a woman once who told me a story about her mother who had done something similar in the dark of night, crossing over a ditch to escape out of Germany. Before she left she put some soil in her pocket. My friend had the soil in a glass vial. It brought tears to my eyes.
Thanks for sharing that amazing story.
what an amazing story. I visited Berlin while the wall was up, it gave a very strange atmosphere to the city, especially West Berlin.
My deepest respect for your Mama. She is an amazing and wonderful woman, and I hope to see her again sometime soon.
Post a Comment