Friday, April 13, 2012

The Ones We Love

are never far from our minds

Dandi inspecting the laundry.
Briseis with her Papi
This picture always makes me smile. I wanted to do a post about it for a while but couldnt quite get the right words to form. When you write about other's loss and hurt you must tread carefully.
Brisi went across the bridge last year along with her sister Dandi. Brisi was a daddy's girl all the way. Dandi was a little tiger. The first time I met her she slapped the treats out of my hand and growled to show her disapproval.
Andrea and Chris (papi) are a bunny couple. They are also an Army family. Chris is currently serving in Afghanistan and Andrea is serving at home working in the library at Fort Knox. When one of their treasured family of bunnies passes into the Summerlands they are cremated and kept in special boxes so when Andrea and Chris get orders, their departed family goes with them. This is what Andrea wrote to me the other day:
"I received a package from Chris today. In it, two beautiful, handcrafted
wooden boxes with the picture of a bunny on the lids, the inside laid
out with velvet. Above the bunny, one box says "Dandi", the other
"Mamasan" (his name for Briseis). A short note attached said "I had
these handmade here; they're nicer than the old ones ... and more
comfy."
"We didn't want to bury them at a place that we'll never
come back to again. This way, they're with us not only spiritually, but
physically, wherever we move."
In a cold and lonely place far away someone is thinking of their bunnies. I have been thinking of a lot of bunnies lately (and other furry/hairy friends) So many have left for the Summerlands.
Briseis
Dandi
Sogna
Lucky
Snickerdoodle
Savannah
Satchel
Kris
Bella
Louie
Arabella
If I failed to mention someone please accept my apologies and mention them in the comments. This post is not about sorrow but remembrance and all the wonderful ways these creatures change our lives.

Life well spent is long
Leonardo da Vinci

15 comments:

Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing this lovely story. I tend to think things were more recent than they were, but I think you forgot Ginny from REQ.

Carmen S. said...

What a wonderful post of remembrance and thank you for including my baby, I miss him SOOOO much, I could have 10000 bunnies and not one would be like him although each are special in their own ways. I love the idea of the wooden boxes and will keep this special Army couple in my thoughts and prayers.

Little Miss Titch said...

from Speedy's mum-our loved furry friends that have gone on to the next stage of our journey are never forgotten but always remembered,my two bunnies are Caramel and Thumper plus I had a cat called Smokey and they are all together in the back garden where Speedy now plays so they still play together as they always will.xoxo

Jade said...

We have lost too many sweet bunnehs this year already. Mr. Mick says there needs to be a "closed" sign placed at the Rainbow Bridge until next year.

Christina said...

Lisa I dont know Ginny?

Christina said...

Jade Mr.Mick is quite right.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this, Christina. I'm always at a bit of a loss when it comes to deciding what to do with my loved one's remains. Last July, I lost my beloved dog, Teddy. I had "shared" him with someone (long story), so Teddy actually passed away in Colorado, while I sat by helplessly in Missouri. But my friend knew I needed to say goodbye. So last September, he visited and brought 1/2 of Teddy's ashes. He had spread the 1st 1/2 in all of Teddy's favorite places ... along a Colorado river and around his house. Together, we spread some more of Teddy in some of Ted's favorite Missouri spots ... out in the woods, mostly. I've saved some, though, because I know I'll be moving again one day and I want to take some of Teddy with me. I love the idea of having a special wooden box, so will have to look for one for Teddy.

Christina said...

It is hard to know what to do Amy. All of our furry family is buried in the backyard except for Haven. I could not dig a hole for him, I just couldnt do it. I had him cremated and sprinkled his ashes around his two best buddies Nemo and Stewart. Cremation is high around here for animals but I prefer it.

Clovie Boy said...

We had our doxie cremated and his ashes sit on a shelf in a tin but they don't have meaning for me. We had his name carved in a flat river stone and 10 years later it still sits on the first step of our stairs where he often lay. My girls would touch the stone every night on their way to bed. So glad we did the stone.

Christina said...

That is a lovely thing to do and how precious your girls remembered him too.

RG said...

We miss ours ....

Anonymous said...

Here's to sweet Ziggy...

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I was very happy that I was able to take a friend's kitty who had just died and I buried her on my property. Now they can have peace knowing she will always be here in my backyard and I can see the spot from my kitchen window. It will be the start of my pet cemetery.

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

I love the velvet lining for the boxes...a soft place for them to rest. So sweet. Nutmeg and Patches are buried together under a tree on the way out to my garden. I have 2 heart shaped stones on their grave and I stop and touch them and close my eyes and think of them. Miss those buns.

Annette Tait said...

a beautiful post Christina! wishing Chris a safe time on his post and love for Andrea in waiting for him. What a truly loving and special couple, loving their buns, always, here on earth and in the spirit world :)