Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Haven aka Haven Mcgruder, Sugar Bear


First of all let me just say that any jokes about putting bunnies to sleep or eating my bunnies will be deleted immediately. When you work in rescue and have seen what I have, the horror inflicted on animals. I have zero sense of humor about it. Zero.


Haven is one of the Mcgruder boys, he is bonded to his bro's Nemo and Stewart also of the Mcgruder clan. Haven is a pasturella bunny. I wont go into his whole treatment and history as I blogged him on Heartlands blog. Haven is again on antibiotics and will probably have to take them on and off his whole life. He has severe head tilt and often loses his balance. He has improved somewhat but may never come all the way back. We make him comfortable, spoil him rotten, and he is a happy well adjusted bunny. His sideways view of the world around him doesnt slow him down at all. If you have any questions about head tilt buns, I will be happy to answer them for you if I can. He is one of two head tilt bunnies I have adopted.


Haven holds my heart in his precious little paws. His "try" makes me weep. I am not a mushy person but boy does Haven bring it out in me. He was sent by a higher power to teach me lessons. I work harder, complain less and treasure all my bunnies even more because of Mr. Haven.

Facts about Haven:


He is a toe nibbler, never bites down just likes to nibble my toes

He loves a good long scratch on his jaw

He favorite yummy is banana

His eyes weep constantly

He adores his bondmates Nemo and Stewart, he works hard to follow them around the room and sometimes steal their treaties.
Just because your bunny has a head tilt does not mean they need to be put down. If your vet tells you that, change vets. They know diddly squat about bunnies. There are a few extreme exceptions of course but that is very rare and it has numerous factors to consider.
Head tilt bunnies are often culled by breeders or given free to snake owners and breeders. It is a sorrowful thing when a little meds will often cure the problem. But that is strictly a money issue for greedy breeders or lazy people.
If you cant afford the vet, you cant afford the pet.
Adopt a rescued bunny!

6 comments:

Andrea said...

What a wonderful post! Haven is such a fighter, and it makes my day everytime I think of him being in your care. He's sooooo much better!! What a happy end for the little guy. BTW, my German vet once told me that bunnies do get used to seeing the world from their "twisted" perspective. They don't think there's anything wrong with their vision. A comforting thought.

RG said...

We had Scooter .. he did the same for us.

The Urban Cowboy said...

I couldn't agree with you more...zero tolerance for inhumane treatment of animals. I have seen a lot of that with horses, and it is sad.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Sweet bun! We had a head tilter, but from an injury, meds didn't help but exercise did. Thanks for visiting my post on Amelia. I notice you have a bonded threesome, I hope to bond Amelia with my other two, any tips?
Thanks banditrabbit at earthlink dot net

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

What a sweet bun! I have a soft spot for the special needs animals, too. You are right, they teach us many valuable lessons and give us so much love. I really like your last line...if you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet. So many people do not factor that in. Kisses to Haven!

Carolynn Anctil said...

I've never heard of head tilt...thank goodness...what causes it? Every one of my animal companions have taught me great lessons on the more admirable qualities. Angels wrapped in fur, every one.