One of my blog visitors asked a very good question. "What is head tilt and what causes it"? So for those of you who dont know what it is I will try and give a quick explanation.
Head Tilt, Wry Neck or Torticollis: Is when a bunny's head is on sideways. This can also strike rodents and human babies. I dont know if other animals can be affected. If you do, please let me know. Head tilt can be slight or to the point where a bunny is rolling uncontrollably and not able to get to their feet. Left untreated a rolling bunny will die. They are unable to eat or drink. Most of the time quick treatment will stop the rolling. Some bunnies recover completely from head tilt, some always have a slight tilt, like my Nemo and some have a severe tilt but live happy lives and adjust to their sideways view, like my Haven.
Causes of Head Tilt:
Head Trauma
Ear Infections from various problems including but not limited to Pasturella or Staph
Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (fancy name for a parasite/protozoa)
Stroke
Cancer
Something toxic like lead paint.
My personal opinion is we have a long way to go in treating head tilt. My experience at home and at the rescue is that every bunny responds differently to treatment. I know that bunnies with head tilt, especially with severe tilt are so precious. They need a little special care but that's no big deal. My Haven cant get in and out of a litter box due to his balance. We just put down a couple of puppy pads and he knows where to go.
If you want more information on head tilt there is a ton of info on the net. The House Rabbit Society is a great place to start.
3 comments:
Thanks for explaining that. If I'd known about this earlier, I'd probably have a whole house full of head tilt bunnies. I have a soft spot for the underdogs and 'imperfect' animals. They are usually so incredibly sweet & loveable. Give your guys a squeeze for me!
Great rundown on head tilt. My Biscuit (ATB) used to do the rolling thing, scary when you first see it! Only later did we find her condition was because of mishandling by a 6 year old girl (where B lived before I said I'll take care of that bunny who was loose on the streets), we knew it was her because the same thing happened to another rabbit she was playing with; rabbits are not babysitters.
It is sickening to me when a parent lets a kid handle an animal anyway they want. I cant imagine what the bunny had to go through.
Post a Comment