Heartland Rabbit Rescue is where I volunteer. Our south warren is where all the adoptable bunnies live, waiting for their forever homes. Waiting to be spoiled, pampered and have the constant attention and adoration they deserve. Most of them will never know that feeling but all of them know safety, kindness, full tummies and get a chance to kick up their heels outside on nice days. They dont worry about being hit, being ignored and hands that hurt.The north warren is where my heart is. They are the bunnies that will never be adopted. (well almost never, Sprout and Haven were adopted) They get few visitors and quietly live out their lives in large playpens. They get extra treats and green yummies and are normally not spayed or neutered for health reasons. They are Hannah, Snowflake, Kris, Emilio, Merlin, Putter, Charlie Brown, Wesley, and until yesterday there was Pearl.
Pearl came to us last year along with Merlin. She had weepy eyes and a runny nose. Her pretty white fur was covered in urine, a saggy dewlap and a used up body frame led us the believe that she was most likely a bunny used for breeding. She also had never known a kind touch in her entire life. She was a tiger, she bit, she growled, she lunged and slapped. She never stopped that behavior. She had never known love and affection and could only defend herself from the humans that might cause more pain.
A little over a week ago, her eye suddenly developed a bulge, leaked blood and pus. A rush to the vet discovered an abscess behind the eye. There was no other choice but to remove her eye. Pearl left for the bridge yesterday evening. Despite good care, meds and force feeding I believe with all my heart that Pearl decided to leave. Her eye was healing but her soul was damaged beyond repair. There was no telling what was going on in her body. Her little abused uterus could have been filled with cancer. We will never know. I think she decided that all the human contact was just too frightening and she had enough. Better to cross the bridge than have us keep touching her. No matter the attention we showed her, she just couldn't recognize the love we offered.
In the twilight a few days ago she had a little playtime outside. She, for just a minute allowed our director to give her a back rub. She didn't run away, growl or try to bite. I think she made her peace then. She laid down her sword and shield. Pearl is an example to me of how death is not the most horrible thing. Suffering is much more horrible. There are many kinds of abuse in this world. Physical and verbal abuse is what we hear about most. Imagine in your whole life that not one soul ever loved you. Not one soul ever gave you a hug, ever touched you with kindness. That seems the worst fate imaginable to me.
Hug whatever living breathing creature you care about today. Touch them lightly with love and pour it into them. Make them feel safe and wanted. Do it for Pearl.
20 comments:
What a touching post, I'm bawling like a baby!!! It's good to know Pearl is not suffering anymore, Bless you all at the rescue for all you do, wish I lived closer, I would love to spend my days loving all those bunns! ((HUGS))
Using the other animals for any reason is a crime. They deserve respect, affection, attention and care. They deserve to live their lives however they wish. We human animals diminish ourselves every second we don't approach our fellow Earthlings kindness and love. Pearl has been released from her misery, the care and loving from those at Heartland came too late to undo the damage.
Farewell Pearl, I hope your spirit is soaring and you are experiencing the freedom and joy that was your birthright.
Good work there and a good - and hard and well put and touching - reminder of the responsibilities we have.
oh poor Pearl, it's terrible that some people are so cruel to animals. Glad she had somewhere nice to spend her last days.
Dang Christina sad that Pearl was not loved and respected. I am glad she had the days at Heartland and I love and believe and cry over your last paragraph. I believe I will head to the shelter today and check again for that special kitty that belongs in our home.
Thanks for your sweet words everyone.
Pix-when you finally find the kitty, he or she will be the luckiest kitty in the world.
how can l leave a comment when I can't make it through this post without major tear leakage?
I'm a north warren person too, Christine. I'm in tears over Pearl. Poor thing. My first bunny behaved just like her. Even though he regularly tore my heart in two, I wouldn't give up on him. He became a 'one woman bunny' and eventually let me give him lots of loving, on his own terms.
She knew love and kindness in her final days. She was safe from further harm and now truly rests in peace.
Bless you, Christine, and all the other caregivers at Heartland.
xoxo
Oh, man. Truer words have never been spoken. Pearl's story brought me to tears. I'm hugging my dog as soon as I'm finished typing this comment. Thanks for what should be an unnecessary reminder. :)
Mindy
www.thesuburbanlife.com
Ohhhhh, I hope she finds more joy than she could ever imagine. Safe journey, Pearl.
This post brought tears to my eyes...poor Pearl. I hope she is happy in heaven now.
Tracey
There you go again, Christina: Making me cry in the office.
Binky free across the bridge, Pearl, and know no more fear or pain.
I think it's so amazingly cool that you have the North Warren as a sanctuary. And I agree 100% with every word in your last paragraph. Death is not the worst thing in the world. It's all the suffering that presents itself during life.
Sweet Pearl. No more pain little girl. I hope she finds my Nutmeg and Patches on the other side. XOXO
I don't understand humans...This stuff sickens me! Poor Pearl My heart is aching for her. I am so glad her last year was at least a little happy.
This is the saddest, but at the same time, most beautiful post, Christina! It makes my heart ache that Pearl had to go through so much pain and misery in her life and could not recognize the care and love you gave her, but when I look at the picture of her in the green grass soaking up the sunshine, I feel comforted. Thank you for giving her the opportunity to experience that. Farewell, little Pearl, your spirit is free!
Beautifully written post, Christina. I've known a few lost souls like Pearl in my time. It's not the natural state for domestic bunnies to be so damaged and fearful of people. She got that way through the intentional abuse of ignorant, evil people. I firmly believe that on some level, Pearl knew she was finally around humans that loved and cared for her, and knew her life had value. I take comfort in knowing that she is now jumping and dancing in the radiance of light and love. She will remember you, and the kindness you showed her.
"dancing in the radiance of light and love" I am going to treasure those words.
i have a rabbit quite similar to pearl. she was found at a park by a friend and later gave birth to i think around 6 babies. i adopted one of the babies and her, the mom. no one wanted her -- they only wanted the babies. how unfair. she's got quite a temper and has bit me a few times. she cowers in a corner if i come near. i always try to be as kind and gentle to her as possible, but i can't seem to get that anxiety to go away. she's been getting somewhat better since when i first adopted her, but she's probably never going to be as friendly as my other bun who i've known 8+ years. it's so sad that people would be so cruel to any animal, let alone a sweet tiny rabbit that can't harm anyone. rest in peace pearl. even though i never met you, my heart goes out to you. you can count me among your friends.
Thank you for reading Pearl's story Vegan Rabbit. Stop by anytime and thank you for your friendship!
Post a Comment