
Where to begin with little Nemo................
Nemo is my very special little bunny. He is my bunny equivalent to a soul mate. I try never to patronize pet stores. I will only seldom go to the one that starts with a "P" and ends with an "art" and that is only if I cant get something online. Bunnies like Nemo are the reason.
November 07 I was out of bunny chow and went into my local pet store. The woman who runs the place swears up and down that she is a responsible breeder (oxymoron) of rabbits. As I was leaving and trying hard not to look around me, I spotted a bunny in what seemed to be a hamster cage. There was a sign that said "free to a good home". Said bunny had a pretty severe head tilt. The serpent, uh pet store woman I mean, said she couldn't possibly try and sell a head tilt bunny so anybody could have him for free. Here began my education about bunnies with wry neck.
I went home with a sick heart. Not prepared to take another bunny especially a sick bunny I fretted about him all night long. I was at the pet store when it opened. I talked to Nemo and we made eye contact. He look said "please take me home and love me". The spawn of Satan, uh I mean pet store lady said she usually sent her "abnormal" bunnies to the boa constrictor breeder for free food. I guess she is a responsible breeder. If its not a money maker she discards it. Huh.
Nemo went to the vet. He had antibiotics, lots of room to run around, fresh greens everyday and was introduced to hay. Yes, Cruella, uh I mean the pet store woman sells hay in her store but doesn't bother to give it to her bunnies. Its a good thing she is so knowledgeable about bunnies. After a couple of weeks Nemo all but recovered from his head tilt. It is only slight now. I wait with baited breath that my little silly will get sick again.
Nemo is the sweetest most loving little bunny I have ever been around. Every morning when I come home from work he runs up to me and circles my feet without fail. I think its his way of saying "Hi mom, I missed you and I am glad your home" He very much loves his bondmates Stewart and Haven but he is a straight Momma's boy. He will almost always leave their side to sit by Mom. He loves to get in my purse and has to have his nose in everything I do. He grooms my hair and always gets up close to stare into my face. I often wonder what he is thinking when he stares at me. It may be "you need your roots done Mom!"
If I sound bitter towards the demon, uh I mean pet store woman, its because I am.
Love you Neep Neep. Thanks for coming into my life.
6 comments:
Little Nemo, what a story.....tears prickle at my eyes. I had a head tilt bun and just having room to move around helped her immensely. Some evil will, no doubt, befall she who must not be named......nose bumps to Nemo form us.
How sweet is he! So glad you found each other. :) Responsible breeder -- yeah, total oxymoron. Or just moron.
Yea Nemo .. and you for getting him!!!!!!!!!! What a guy!
Argh! I would like to feed said pet store woman to the boa constrictors!!!
Nemo's really adorable, I'm glad he's found a happy home with you :) Bless you for rescuing him :)
Nemo looks so much like my first bunny, Paco, especially with his short little ears. Long story, however, I got Paco at a pet store too. He'd been returned and had developed a nasty habit of biting people. Must have had a bad experience wherever he'd been in the interim. It took me well over a year before he would trust me enough to pet him. By the end of his life 8 years later, he and I would snuggle on the floor together in front of the fireplace. He was most definitely my soul mate!
P.S. Your post over at my place totally made me laugh! It's mostly fruit...very good for you. ;o)
Post a Comment