This is the handsome and kind Pippin. Bunny man Pipster has the most easy going way about him. I am surprised by him. Pippin spent 8 years in a backyard hutch. As I have stated before, Heartland is overflowing with bunnies, there is NO MORE room. Uh huh, well they made room for Pippin. An 8 year sentence of loneliness. Never to have human companionship, not another bunny to snuggle, feet never touching the grass, powerful back legs and feet left to waste away to atrophy. Rusted food bowls, no soft place to get off of the wire, nails long and curling sideways. No treaties, no hay, no nothing.
Pippin has captured all of us. He is so very precious and accepting. He is quietly curious about everything. I love this little bunny dearly. He was a prisoner to indifference. I had the honor of naming him.
Meet Baby Girl (her name is still pending I think)
Did I mention there is no more room at Heartland? Uh huh. This wee one showed up at the animal shelter. Heartland got an email from a visiting vet and a picture. "Do you have room" No, but we will take her anyway. There is no real story here. Supposedly she was found wandering and taken to the shelter. Sorry, I just dont believe that one. I think a family bought her and then someone decided for whatever monsterous reason to cut off her ears and that family, rather than face the demon living in their own house and being too cheap to provide vet care, dumped her at the animal shelter. That is my theory and I am sticking with it.
She is cautious and quick. When I visit her I just wait patiently for her to come to me. Eventually she does and will enjoy a head rub. She isnt really head shy which surprises me. I apologize to her on behalf of humans constantly. She was a prisoner of cruelty and depravity.
Over the last few weeks I have thought about which is worse....Indifference or Cruelty. I have come to the conclusion the indifference is the winner. Cruelty is not as rampant. Indifference is an abomination.
What do you think friends?
14 comments:
I would probably have to agree, but cruelty is a terrible thing as well and you wonder how people can be such demons! Those bunnies are both just precious and such a shame! I do love how there was room for them even though the shelter was "full":)
P.s...I just found heartland rescue on FB and shared the link;)
I "see" you Carmen! Thanks.
Indifference - I do so feel bad for people who just sit and watch.
Show up - be prepared - contribute.
Pippin does seem really sweet and inquisitive, just that single picture shows a lot of his personality I think.
Well I am biased, living with a former neglect case, but I do think indifference is worse. Neglect tends to last longer, because an animal/person/whatever can endure that type of extreme suffering for longer. Cruelty tends to be extreme and will kill the victim faster, thus putting him out of his misery. Also social attitudes towards neglect. Onlookers are less likely to intervene or even notice. But people notice when they see blood. Neglect is more "accepted" by society. I get furious when Jon says, well, maybe they meant well, they just didn't know how to take care of her. It's their responsibility to know. But there are a lot of people who think that if it's not 100% intentional it's forgivable. I disagree.
I am amazed by Pippin's story. Sogna only survived her first year, and they didn't think she'd make it. Pippin survived 8 in similar conditions. I thought my girl was strong. Holy cow. Please keep the updates as to his progress coming.
(Coming home to your house someday...?)
oh my god. I hate them both. Both are tortuous and infinitely cruel.
My heart breaks for these two. So glad they're finally in a place where they will experience love & compassion. Where human hands don't bring pain and fear with them.
I will forever stand in awe of these animal survivors and their amazing capacity for forgiveness and trust. May they heal and be happy.
Blessings,
Carolynn
Indifference and cruelty...Is there a difference?
Lisa,
It is very tempting to take Pippin home. He is getting up there in years so I am not sure if he could be neutered. I feel like when Haven was here Millie was often slighted for attention (and my trio too). So I am concentrating on them at the moment. If it is time to take another bunny I think it will become quite clear to me.
Also, as much as I love Pippin and baby girl, I like to adopt the buns that have been at the rescue for a while. Pippin has a good life now and yes I wish he could have a home where it was only about him and spoiled rotten. (baby girl too)
If I take another bun into my home....it will be the circumstance that determines it....not so much me and I dont think Millie has much interest in another partner either. She is quite content.
Short answer....we will see
I like that RG. "show up be prepared contribute"....like it very much.
Took our grandson to Heartland Tuesday. He climbed into the pen with baby girl to pet her and tell her "Not everybody is bad." She is so tiny and sweet. And Pippin...I want to take him, too.
Pippin is one of the all time great names...superlative! He is, I'm beginning to believe, a Zen master or something like.
I am eager to watch baby girl grow and develop...she is a sweetie.
Aw Julie, tell Jackson Thank you on behalf of us humans!
He does appear to be meditating huh VE?
It just kills me, truly kills me. I will never understand. They are just darling, sweet little creatures. Indifference sucks, but luckily there are people in this world that make a difference. ;)
xx, shell
indifference and crulety are both awful....
Pippin and Baby Girl are both beautiful, i hope they have long happy lives ahead of them
Post a Comment